NickWren is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2013

One tables data wont show in Query

So this one has been stumping me for a while now and I cannot figure out why this is happening.

I have two tables:

tblPatient
    -PatientID [PK]
    -PatientName
    -DOB
    -PhysicianID*
    -RegistrationDate

tblPhysician
    -PhysicianID [PK]
    -PhysicianName
    -FacilityName
    -FacilityAddress

The query involves both tables and uses the tblPatient.PhysicianID to link to the tblPhsician.PhysicianID.
    The backend is not filled out through an access form (we have web based forms that push data over to the backend), however the Physician on both tables when pushed over match.
    When run through a query which has "joined fields are equal" nothing shows up, when I run it where it shows all the patient results only the patient data shows along with what is entered in tblPatient.PhysicianID, but all the physician results are blank.

When I go to the form that the query is assigned to same thing, but I have a combo box on there that is used to amend the physician id if it is incorrect. Once you put the physician Id that is suppose to be there all the fields in the query and on the form are filled out.

But looking back at the patient/physician table nothing has changed, no data has been transferred (which there shouldnt be anyways because the tblPatient already had the correct ID).

Why cant the query see that I want it to bring up the physicians data that matches the ID to the tblPatient.PhysicianID? Is it something to do with the background relationships?

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Is tblPatient.PhysicianID type= long?
    are you using a combo box to pick the doctor on the Patient form?

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is it something to do with the background relationships?
    Probably not. The problem is probably has to do with the values in the PhysicianID fields. They may look the same - but are they really? What is the data type of that field? It should be the same in both tables. If it is character type, and the data is coming from a source that is not MS Access, then there may be some extra non-visible characters in there that cause Access to think the fields are not equal. The fact that you can change the PhysicianID to its "correct" value and then have the query work (in the form) suggests that is the problem.

If you can, take a look at the code that transfers the data from the web to your back end tables - something may be adding an extra blank or a CRLF to the data, which you can't see but is causing the mis-match problem.

Windows XP Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Probably not. The problem is probably has to do with the values in the PhysicianID fields. They may look the same - but are they really? What is the data type of that field? It should be the same in both tables. If it is character type, and the data is coming from a source that is not MS Access, then there may be some extra non-visible characters in there that cause Access to think the fields are not equal. The fact that you can change the PhysicianID to its "correct" value and then have the query work (in the form) suggests that is the problem.

If you can, take a look at the code that transfers the data from the web to your back end tables - something may be adding an extra blank or a CRLF to the data, which you can't see but is causing the mis-match problem.
    Whats funny is that I can also copy the PhysicianID in the Physician table and put it in the patient table but yet sample issue, no physician data shows up in the query...

You and ranman256 had a good point asking me if the fields were the same type; on the tblPhysician the PhysicianID is "Short Text" while on the tblPatient the PhysicianID is a lookup field to the PhysicianID.
    I assume this must be affecting the query? We have a form on the database that also creates new patients and physicians and that uses the drop down box to pick the physician ID, which would make sense why we dont have that issue from manual entries.

To fix this, just make the PhysicianID a "Short Text" on the tblPatient and make the form combo box be a lookup to the PhysicianID? I assume this will work, I will try to do it in a couple of hours and let you know if i was successful or not. Thank you for taking time to help me solve this issue!

Windows XP Access 2013
    Well I feel very special, changing the field to be just a plan textbox instead of a lookup field make the information correlate and now the query presents the physician and patient information on the form!

Thank you for helping me wrap my head around this...

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.