aaron47 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Changing the data type on a field for a record identifier from 'number' to 'short text'

I am a contractor and at my current assignment, a previous contractor had developed a data table with an online entry screen to be used to add and maintain user requests for changes to an online claims system. I have been tasked to modify the field that holds a record identifier on the database from 'number' to 'short text'. The entry system is made of one screen to list of entries and another screen for editing a single entry. A user would select the desired entry from the list and press an 'edit' button to go to the second screen. When the identifier field was defined as a number, the edit screen would display with no problem but now that I have changed the data type to 'short text' in a test version of the data base, the edit button results in a pop-up screen prompts the user to enter a parameter value. If user enters the value of the selected identifier in the pop-up screen and presses enter, the desired record is displayed on the edit screen. If the user cancels out of the pop-screen, another pop-screen is displayed with the message 'The OpenForm action was cancelled'. There doesn't appear a definition of the OpenForm command for the data table. Only one other person beside myself would be updating the data table and that person doesn't have a problem with having an extra step when selecting a record for editing. Does anyone know how this can be corrected?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Post code that opens the second screen/form.

Is this field a primary key? If so, has it been saved as foreign key in related table(s)?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.