rscott7706 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Populate a field based on combobox selection

I would like to populate a (another) table field based on user combo box selections.

I would like a combo box with selections A, B, C, D, E, etc.

If combo box A is selected, it would populate with the numeral 1; if B were selected, it would populate with the numeral 2; if C were selected, it would populate with the numeral 3; etc.

So, we would have a combo box in the form, but it would not populate a table field with the combo box selections, but with values driven by the combo box selections.

Is this possible?

Ron

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    yes; the combobox (all active controls) has an 'AfterUpdate' event. You would put in vb code that would perform this task.

the vanilla way that Access provides novices to this is a different approach - their path is to set up a 'lookup' field at the table level.

However in your case you are wanting to do a translation from A to 1 - and so one must put in a little VB.

rscott7706 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    yes; the combobox (all active controls) has an 'AfterUpdate' event. You would put in vb code that would perform this task.

the vanilla way that Access provides novices to this is a different approach - their path is to set up a 'lookup' field at the table level.

However in your case you are wanting to do a translation from A to 1 - and so one must put in a little VB.
    Thanks for your quick reply. I think the lookup table approach is best for me (no VB skills).

The task is actually to set membership levels for a Chamber of Commerce. So, my example simplified this - Associate = $X, Business = $X

So I would build a table of amounts, then in the combo box how would I reference the lookup? (I hope I am on the right track)

Ron

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Well anyone designing a database needs a textbook. So be sure to purchase one in the version you are using, easily found at Amazon or any big box bookstore. Any textbook is going to cover setting up a lookup field in a table.

The one additional hint to add about this is that Access likes to default the 'bound' column as the first column. So if your look up is of a table and you view: Title $

It will default to putting in (bound) the Title.

If your look up table has an autonumber key so that it is this:

Key Title $

It is going to want to enter the Key.

One can change that after the fact - in the property of the lookup field...or be sure to set your look up table like this: $ Title

and then it will enter the $ value into the field...

greenlydon is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am using Access 2010

I have a form (enter customer information). I have a customer table, state table, city table, and zip code table.

On the form I have a state combo box and a city combo box. I want to select the state and from that selection I want the city combo box to be populated with all the cities from the state that was selected from the state combo box.

I have a query that the following code has been entered into it:

SELECT CityTbl.CityName, CityTbl.CityStateName, StatesTbl.StateName
    FROM [StatesTbl].StateName
    WHERE StateName = cboState;

When I select the state the city is not being populated.

In advanced, Thank you for you any help given.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A combobox contains data that is valid when the form is opened.

Therefore when you select a State; you must force the City combobox to requery.

Hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.