Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    musicmanbob is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Adding New Students to my Microsoft Acess Database

Good Evening All,

I have constructed several Microsoft Access Databases for student info. In order to capture all of the student info I have established 10 fields to contain this information. Now, due to new incoming students for the same classes, I want to add them using the same 10 fields, but on the same database. In other words, I don't want to have to duplicate the same fields in a totally new database if I can just add the new students to what I've already created. The class is the same that require the same info from each student. Thanks for your help. I am very new at this.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have constructed several Microsoft Access Databases for student info.
    And your post concerns just one of them, yes?
    How did you get the original students into the database? Do you have a data entry form to do that?
    A form should be all you need to enter new students into the existing table.

If this doesn't make sense to you, please explain more about your database, perhaps showing your relationship screen with the student table. And also a jpg of the data entry form if you have one.
    Best of all, post a copy of the DB here so that we can examine it.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure why you needed to create SEVERAL databases for student info.
    Why not one database?

The whole point of a database is that it is possible to edit existing records and add new ones.
    So yes - you can easily add new students

All changes to data should be done using forms - not by directly editing the tables
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Please accept my apologies for the confusion. I have constructed one database that include 10 fields that contains student info, ie, first/last names, address, email address, etc. I want to know how I can use this same database to add new students who attended the same class this year. If I don't have to, I don't want to do new databases that contain the same 10 fields each time we get a new set of students. I hope this clears up everything so you all can help me. Thank you so much.

bob

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, there is some confusion. You didn't mention tables. Tables contain fields. Databases contain tables. So that we communicate with a common jargon, can you explain your needs within that context?
    Also, you didn't answer my question: How did you get the original students into the database table? Why can't you use the same procedure for the new students?
    Do you want to intermix the old students with the new, or delete the old students before entering the new, or segregate the old and new somehow?
    Again, if you can post your DB, we can see more clearly how to advise you.

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Hello Davegri and thank you all for responding to my need for help. Here is how I proceeded:

1. I needed a database for students in our real estate classes.
    2. My database was very basic and only included One Table for Student Information. Whenever I go to a particular class I want to be able to see all of the students that took that particular class. I also want to be able to see the group the student was in.
    3. I determined the Student Table would include 10 fields for, first, middle & last names, address, city/state/zip code, home phone, etc.
    Once I completed this task, I typed in, starting at record number 1 through 9. These students were in a class that ended in October 2017. The new class of students completed classes June 2018.
    When I try to add the new students they start at record number 10 which I don't want. I actually want the new students to start at record number 1 but below the earlier group of students. I want each set of students who take the same class to start at record number 1 for that particular student group.
    Again, I sure hope this explains things better. And, I am trying to use the basic database terms which I hope is correct. Thank you all.

bob

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Good Evening Ridders52, I just paid attention to your comment regarding "Making changes using Forms". I thought I could directly edit the table itself. I will look at how that is done. You all can see I am totally new at this. I will go to the Mendip Data Systems website. Thanks so much.

bob

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You aren't going to be able to enter new students "Below" current students, reusing their autonumber keys. There are other ways to approach this.
    I would create another table, tblGroup, which would contain a key, GroupID_PK autonumber with another field for the starting date for the group.
    Your students table would need a foreign key pointing to a tblGroup record to indicate which group the student is in.
    Then create a form for tblGroup, with a subform for the Student table.
    The Group form would have a dropdown for group date, which on being chosen, would show all the students in that group, and allow you to add, delete and edit the student records.
    Such a setup would allow you to easily create reports showing the groups, and what students are in each.

If this sounds like too much for you to tackle, POST YOUR DB and we can set it up for you.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Davegri,

I more than appreciate these alternatives you suggests. I will certainly look hard at what you suggest here. I really appreciate you offering to set up things for me and I am humbled by this. The reason I attempted to add the new students at the end of our previous table was, I wanted to avoid having to duplicate all of those fields again. I thought the easiest way to add the new students was at the end of the earlier database. I soon found out I could not do that (pity)
    Let me struggle through what you suggest here and see if I can figure it out. At least I can say I tried. If I can't get it together I will return and ask you for further help. Again, I am more than pleased by everyone here who reached out to help me, especially, on July 4th. Thank you so much.

bob

Windows 10 Access 2016
    mmb, see attached.
    A simple two table database with Mainform/subform setup.
    There is one query for a report recordsource and one report.

It will allow you to add groups, then add students to the groups.
    The report will show all the students in each group.

DB is for functionality, not aesthetics.
    This should get you started toward what you need for your solution.

This took about 30 minutes to set up.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Mistaken duplicate of Post #11, so deleted
    Last edited by davegri; 07-04-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Delete

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Good Thursday Morning Davegri and thank you so much for your massive help. I am thankful that at 81 years old I am still active and able to think clearly about most stuff. I mention my age because I am very happy and proud to have reached this point in my life. My wife is a realtor who, before that was a Jr, High school teacher and teacher for students with disabilities. She decided to recently develop a Real Estate School and begin to teach all aspects of this subject. As her partner, I was tasked to learn how to build a website and learn the inside/outside of the Access Database Program. It's been a roller coaster ride and I've had to pick up stuff at a pretty fast clip. Obviously, there is so much more I need to learn about this wonderful database program and I sure do want to. You and others here have been so very kind to me and I very much appreciate that. Please know that I can't say enough "Thank You's" for the Zip File you provided me. I am going to take as much time as I need to figure out how to use it once downloaded and opened. I understand the more I know about this, the better I will be at helping my wife keep proper track of students. Already I know I am going to have some important questions when I open your Zip File. Again, thank you and others so much for reaching out to me. You certainly could be doing other things, but you decided to help a desperate person in need.

bob

Windows 10 Access 2007
    Orange,
    Thank you very much for providing this important link. No doubt I need to spend more time with this topic area because it's so very important. This information is very much appreciated.

bob

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    mmbob,
    There are a lot of us on this and other forums who have been retired for a number of years. Don't let age be a distraction.
    There are many concepts/approaches within the info in the link I provided.
    The videos by Dr. Soper are good for overview and do go progressively into detail.
    The underlying issue is that MS Access is a development tool including a database management system that has its own syntax rules and constructs. And above that are the things/subjects (tables) and their attributes (fields) and the business rules (relationships) between the subjects -- known as a data model.

A good method to experience the importance of a data model is to work through one or two of the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary (identified in the linked info). Each tutorial has a problem statement/description, and a solution. You will learn a process that can be used with any database. Each tutorial can be done in about 1 hour (or less).

Good luck with your project, it is a learning opportunity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.