srkempka is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Using a listbox on a search form to filter a query

I know this is a relatively common issue, but I couldn't find an answer to my specific scenario...

I have a functional search form with several text boxes and 2 combo boxes. Everything worked/works great except I was just asked to create multi-select functionality for my combo boxes. After looking for solutions, it seems that combo boxes aren't able to do that, but listboxes are. The issue is that no matter what/how many items I select, the Query I have acts as if the listbox is null so it returns everything.

I'm not sure this makes a difference, but one of the fields (Type) has its data concatenated. I'm assuming the issue is stemming from my current SQL and my lack of changing it since converting the combo box to a list box. Here is the reduced form of my Query's SQL:

SELECT [Consolidated Data].[Form Name], [Consolidated Data].[Type]

FROM [Consolidated Data]

WHERE (((Forms!SearchF![Product Form] Is Null) Or ([Form Name] Like "*" & Forms!SearchF![Product Form] & "*")) And ((Forms!SearchF!Type Is Null) Or ([Type] Like "*" & Forms!SearchF![Type] & "*")));

Any thoughts/advice/recommendations?

Thanks!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If [Product Form] is a name of a form control, it's rather misleading. Can't give specific advice because of that uncertainty ([Form Name] is not any better, I'm afraid) but can advise generally.
    First, you'll have to explain exactly how things should work unless you only need generalities. So generally, you'd have to loop through the listbox and concatenate all the values, separating with commas. Then concatenate this WHERE part to the SELECT ... FROM portion and do whatever it is you need to do with the resulting sql (open, run, pass it somewhere). The field you referred to is comma separated values? These are actually visible as such in a table but are not multi value fields? If so, they shouldn't pose a problem if they're concatenated with the other values and your sql contains an IN clause, as in WHERE myField IN (val1,val2,val3...) but they'd have to be added as the entire chunk.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Just adding to micron's excellent advice, do you really have 4 different forms open as well as the one with the listbox? If so, why?
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.