hinchi1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Opening Files from a network drive

Hi
    I am looking to develop a database to collate all documents, such as Risk Assessments, COSSH or any other file that relates to their own individual project. I know how to create a list box of all projects and to be able to double click an item in the list box to open that specific record. The next part is where i am unsure, when the specific record opens on a new form I can display the relevant information at the top of the form, such as project name, project owner, but what would be the best way to display all relevant files associated with that project? Should I use another Listbox or a Subform. I know i can set up an attachment field in a table, but I would prefer to list all the files and have radio buttons to filter the list so show a specific type of file, say "Risk Assessment" or "COSSH". Then lastly to be able to click on a file and open it regardless of its format, IE, Word, Excel or whatever the file type is. Just to note, these files are stored on a network drive which i have access to. Thanks in advance for your support.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    know i can set up an attachment field in a table
    better not to, will cause bloat. either store the file paths/name in a table or simply list the files in a particular folder(s) as and when required. Generally speaking storing the path/names in a table will populate your list/subform more quickly but you then need a way to keep that list up to date in some way.

Should I use another Listbox or a Subform.
    depends what you are going to do and how. if listing the files in a directory, either will do. If you need to be able to add the paths/name to a table, you can use a subform. Again, depends on how you keep that list up to date

radio buttons to filter the list so show a specific type of file, say "Risk Assessment" or "COSSH". Then lastly to be able to click on a file and open it regardless of its format, IE, Word, Excel or whatever the file type is
    doable for either listbox or subform - use the shell command

how to do it - I'm not going to spend time doing that until you have clarified the above and how you identify a file as risk assessment etc, how the files are stored - a single directory or multiple directories based on file type, project owner or some other basis.

HI Ajax

The network drive where the files are stored are placed in a Health & Folder, from there the files are all over the place. So to start with I am going to create separate folders for all of the projects that we have, then within these folders place all the safety documents relating to the project. Not sure at this point as to whether to place COSHH and Risk Assessment documents in there own sub folder within the project folder. Your thoughts on that please, It may just be overkill. The first step is to fill out the safety and COSHH forms and get them signed by the researcher whose project it is. We then scan the document and save on the network drive to the relevant project folder, usually saved in PDF or Word format. From this point I would like to be able to open the database and select a project and see all relevant documents for that project with the function to be able to filter what the file is, such as "Risk Assessment" or "COSHH", or any type of safety file that is needed for the project. Each project has it's risks, so not all documents are required for each project. It may be that if I spend sometime organising the files on the network drive in to some order then it maybe that I don't need a database, but I think for my small team to be able to open the database and find what they need quickly will be less time consuming and less frustrating. Another thing is that when I have scanned the signed safety documents it would make sense to save the scanned file to the network drive through the database?? Again, not too sure if this is overkill on my part. Any suggestions, ideas greatly appreciated.

Not sure at this point as to whether to place COSHH and Risk Assessment documents in there own sub folder within the project folder. Your thoughts on that please,
    depends on file numbers, but with a proper file naming convention, should not be necessary.

I have scanned the signed safety documents it would make sense to save the scanned file to the network drive through the database??
    unlikely

You haven't clarified anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    depends on file numbers, but with a proper file naming convention, should not be necessary.

unlikely

You haven't clarified anything else
    Hi Ajax

Not sure what else to put. From the database I want to add project folders, then add file attachments to these folders. I would like to use command button to add a new project, and command buttons to add, delete and save attachments to the project folder. I would prefer not to use the attachment object. I will have a listbox with a search function (already done). I need to add a command button to add a project and requery the listbox to show the new project folder. Then double click on a project folder to open a new form, which will have on the parent form showing, the project name, project owner, and three command, Add attachment, delete attachment, save attachment. Then a subform showing all the attachments related to the project.

You know your data, I don't. You are saying what you want to do, but not providing any info on what is available to enable it to happen.

do you have a proper file naming convention? if what is it? provide examples
    how many files are you talking about?
    you mention multiple directories - what is the structure? what naming convention is applied?

Even when I've said 'it depends - do this/do that' you have not said which way you want to go.

Suggest google the 'dir', 'file system objects', 'difference between text and number sorting' etc. These are to sort of things you will need to use one way or another. Once you understand the implications of what these things do you will understand the sort of information required

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.