Kundan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2013 32bit

Regarding program

I have a ID eg. A-00454 I want to increase it by one. After increment the ID should contain 5 digits in the number portion.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    sounds like you require what is frequently called 'dmax+1'. google/bing to find out more. If you require further help, you will need to explain what happens with the 'A' - is it always A, can be a different letter, or more than one letter. Also need to explain how you increment - is this manual entry so records are added one at a time - or copy/paste or import multiple records at a time. And whether it is

A1
    A2
    A3
    B1
    B2
    B3

or

A1
    A2
    B3
    A4
    B5
    B6

In principle you will need to isolate the numeric part of the id and make it numeric and add 1 e.g.

val(dmax("mid(myfield),3)","myTable","perhaps some criteria here for the alpha part of the ID"))+1

However note that it is usually better to store the ID in its component parts and correct datatype - much easier to maintain and generally faster operation - and combine as and when required - e.g.

alphacode & "-" & format(numericcode,"00000")

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    sounds like you require what is frequently called 'dmax+1'. google/bing to find out more. If you require further help, you will need to explain what happens with the 'A' - is it always A, can be a different letter, or more than one letter. Also need to explain how you increment - is this manual entry so records are added one at a time - or copy/paste or import multiple records at a time. And whether it is

A1
    A2
    A3
    B1
    B2
    B3

or

A1
    A2
    B3
    A4
    B5
    B6

In principle you will need to isolate the numeric part of the id and make it numeric and add 1 e.g.

val(dmax("mid(myfield),3)","myTable","perhaps some criteria here for the alpha part of the ID"))+1

However note that it is usually better to store the ID in its component parts and correct datatype - much easier to maintain and generally faster operation - and combine as and when required - e.g.

alphacode & "-" & format(numericcode,"00000")
    I tried with the following code,

Dim num As String
    Dim fnum As String
    Dim lnum As String
    num = Me.List174
    fnum = Right(num, Len(num) - InStr(num, "-"))
    fnum = fnum + 1
    Do While Len(fnum) < 5
    fnum = "0" + fnum
    Loop
    lnum = "I-" + fnum
    Me.CR_NO = lnum
    Exit Sub
    Err_code:
    MsgBox Error$

Is val() required?

Estimate the reasonable max number of digits your ID can ever have (otherwise you can never order your data by ID, as older and newer entries will be messed up). And remember, better you'll have an additional "0" in your ID, than you'll have to update all your tables containing values of ID with this additional "0" someday in future. In your example in opening post it is 7, so I'll continue with it.

Code:
    Me.CR_NO = LEFT(Me.List174,LEN(Me.List174)-7) & RIGHT("0000000" & CStr(CLng(Right(Me.List174, 7))+1),7)

Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    Estimate the reasonable max number of digits your ID can ever have (otherwise you can never order your data by ID, as older and newer entries will be messed up). And remember, better you'll have an additional "0" in your ID, than you'll have to update all your tables containing values of ID with this additional "0" someday in future. In your example in opening post it is 7, so I'll continue with it.

Code:
    Me.CR_NO = LEFT(Me.List174,LEN(Me.List174)-7) & RIGHT("0000000" & CStr(CLng(Right(Me.List174, 7))+1),7)
    I tried with the following code,

Dim num As String
    Dim fnum As String
    Dim lnum As String
    num = Me.List174
    fnum = Right(num, Len(num) - InStr(num, "-"))
    fnum = fnum + 1
    Do While Len(fnum) < 5
    fnum = "0" + fnum
    Loop
    lnum = "I-" + fnum
    Me.CR_NO = lnum
    Exit Sub
    Err_code:
    MsgBox Error$

Is val() required?

On based on this (your answer to Ajax) was my post.

1. Why have a long procedure when a single formula will do?

2. "fnum = fnum + 1" You are adding 1 to string! It will not work in Access (but it will work in Excel)!

3. I used CLng() - it converts string to ńumber!

4. You probably didn't notice the main reason for using fixed-length string ID! Here will be explanation by example:

You have a ID in string format like in your opening post with un-fixed length. Let's assume this ID is Primary Key, i.e. records in your table are ordered by it. And let's assume the order is from smallest to largest.

You add a 1st record:
    "A-1", ...;
    You add other records up to 9th:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...
    You add 10th record:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-10", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...
    You add 11th record:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-10", ...
    "A-11", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...
    You add 101th record:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-10", ...
    "A-101", ...
    "A-11", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...

Etc.

And the For cycle in your code to add preceding zeros is moot, as with your current code until "A-99999" you get proper ID's, but after this all will continue as in my example. I.e. You get entries like (and no leading zeros, of-course)
    "A-100001", ...
    "A-1000010", ...
    "A-10000101", ...
    "A-1000011", ...
    "A-100002", ...
    "A-100009", ...

And in case you set the For cycle with bigger length, as I adviced, then why to use a cycle, when a simple Right() formula will do?

Smile Regarding Prog.

Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    On based on this (your answer to Ajax) was my post.

1. Why have a long procedure when a single formula will do?

2. "fnum = fnum + 1" You are adding 1 to string! It will not work in Access (but it will work in Excel)!

3. I used CLng() - it converts string to ńumber!

4. You probably didn't notice the main reason for using fixed-length string ID! Here will be explanation by example:

You have a ID in string format like in your opening post with un-fixed length. Let's assume this ID is Primary Key, i.e. records in your table are ordered by it. And let's assume the order is from smallest to largest.

You add a 1st record:
    "A-1", ...;
    You add other records up to 9th:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...
    You add 10th record:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-10", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...
    You add 11th record:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-10", ...
    "A-11", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...
    You add 101th record:
    "A-1", ...
    "A-10", ...
    "A-101", ...
    "A-11", ...
    "A-2", ...
    "A-9", ...

Etc.

And the For cycle in your code to add preceding zeros is moot, as with your current code until "A-99999" you get proper ID's, but after this all will continue as in my example. I.e. You get entries like (and no leading zeros, of-course)
    "A-100001", ...
    "A-1000010", ...
    "A-10000101", ...
    "A-1000011", ...
    "A-100002", ...
    "A-100009", ...

And in case you set the For cycle with bigger length, as I adviced, then why to use a cycle, when a simple Right() formula will do?

Thank You Sir! GOD BLESS YOU!!

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    @Kundan - no need to repeat the entire post you are responding to. Just any bits that you refer to in your next post. Otherwise makes threads very long to scan through

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.