MelindaP is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

I know this has to be easy...

I just can't wrap my brain around it today.

We run a staffing agency with workers that have to be certified every year in many different things. I mostly use a form that is based on many tables to be able to track all of these dates and run reports from them.

We are starting a new branch of the business supplying our own training and I want to be able to link the new training to the form I already have in place, and the workers that I already have in my system. The tables related to this topic are as follows:

Tax Info:
    ID (related to employee)
    Application: (yes/no)
    SS Number
    other fields

Training:
    ID (related to employee)
    Passport (date certified)
    Scaffolding (date certified)
    2 Hr Lead (date certified)
    other fields

Classes Available:
    2 Hr Lead
    Passport
    Scaffolding
    Fall Protection

What I would LOVE to do is: have a table or form that I can enter the SS Number, and the name to be generated if it already exists in the system or I can type it in if the name does not already exist.

I would also like to have a pick list of the classes (which is why I set up "Classes Available"), but when I pick the class, I want the date certified to enter into my already existing form of basic employee information.

Thank you so much for reading this, please dumb down your response as much as possible, I can't do big words...

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What is the "new training" that needs to be added to what you have. Design-wise, those three tables look fine. What exactly are you adding to it?

Hi,

hereby included you find a picture of the database structure of the "Training" example I use when teaching access.

hope you find it helpfull
    NG

Windows XP Access 2003
    If I understand correctly, the relationships are for the existing db. you mentioned. "We are starting a new branch of the business supplying our own training and I want to be able to link the new training to the form I already have in place."

So what exactly is being added do the db? just another form using the existing tables or are you adding more tables to it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    If I understand correctly, the relationships are for the existing db. you mentioned. "We are starting a new branch of the business supplying our own training and I want to be able to link the new training to the form I already have in place."

So what exactly is being added do the db? just another form using the existing tables or are you adding more tables to it?
    Thank you all so much for your consideration! I have been working with my database more and I think I can explain more clearly now what I need.

I want to add a new table, mostly for the purposes of generating my certificate numbers (using autonumber). This table will track each training class that we do and who was in it. my certificate numbers are like this (date, class code, number) right now i am just typing them into excel.

the students are not necessarily people that are already in my employee database, they can be extra people also.

So ideally, i would enter into this table, the student's social security number, and their name would come up if they are already in my employee database. then, if they are already in my employee database, i want it to enter the class information onto the form that i use for them. to avoid double entry, and save time.

then i could enter the rest of the information like class date, class, and certificate number

Ted C is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Couldn't you just add the new courses to tblTrainings?

I made tbl classes available so i could create a pick list of classes...

but i don't really operate off of my tables, i have an employee form that i mostly use. so i guess that's why i can't figure out how to make a table to function the way i want it to.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I would create a separate tblStudents, and put the employees in there. It's a one-time move but would help out a lot. Usually, duplicate entries are frowned upon but these serve a separate purpose. If you want data on students that would be different than what you would want from employees, I think this is the best way to go. That way you arent using a table for its unintended purpose, nor storing data where it doesnt belong (tblEmployee) you would then use tblStudents (has both employee and non-employee student data) as your primary table to query off of. If afterwards, you want to update your employees with having completed certain training, you can create an indicator field in your employee table and query off of tblStudents to update it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.