zy0n1c is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Query requiring an input in my first 4 inputs. "Is Null" should allow me to leave it blank, right?

Edit: - REalized my title said "first 4 inputs" - it's just the first one. It MUST have an input for State 1.

When I run my query, I CANNOT leave State 1 blank. 2, 3, 4 - no problem.

I'd like my users to be able to query both WITH and WITHOUT inputting a state first. I get a blank/empty table when queried without the state input.

My code is below: (left out the SELECT statement because it was a basic, grab all these fields SELECT.)

Code:
    WHERE (

(
    (EmployeeDB.State) Is Null Or (EmployeeDB.State)=[Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState1] 
    Or ((EmployeeDB.State) Is Null Or (EmployeeDB.State)=[Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState2]) 
    Or ((EmployeeDB.State) Is Null Or (EmployeeDB.State)=[Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState3]) 
    Or ((EmployeeDB.State) Is Null Or (EmployeeDB.State)=[Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState4])) 
    )

AND ((EmployeeDB.[Basic+]) Like IIf([forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![CheckBasicPlus],True,"*")
    AND ((EmployeeDB.TWIC) Like IIf([forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![CheckTWIC],True,"*")) 
    AND ((EmployeeDB.HAZWOPER) Like IIf([forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![CheckHAZWOPER],True,"*")
    ));

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    It should be

[Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState1] Is Null Or EmployeeDB.State = [Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState1]

and ditto the other three.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

zy0n1c is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Uh...well with my code in that format it's showing me every single state whether I input something or not...can you help me out with the parenthesis here too? That may be where I screwed up.

Minty is offline VIP
    I always build it in the Query Designer and enter it in the criteria like so it ends up looking like

= [Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState1] or [Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState1] Is Null

Access then does the "Add a million brackets" trick on its own.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    It is preferred that you show all the code --not because we are nosy, but we like to get full context with questions.

It is also helpful for you and readers if you provide an overview description of the "business" in simple English.

Good luck.

zy0n1c is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I solved it with the following code:

Code:
     SELECT EmployeeDB.[Last Name], EmployeeDB.[First Name], EmployeeDB.State, EmployeeDB.[Phone Number 1], EmployeeDB.[Phone Number 2], EmployeeDB.[Basic+], EmployeeDB.TWIC, EmployeeDB.HAZWOPER, EmployeeDB.Hydroblasting, EmployeeDB.[Scaffold Builder], EmployeeDB.[Confined Spaces], EmployeeDB.[OSHA 10], EmployeeDB.[OSHA 40], EmployeeDB.[CDL w/VAC], EmployeeDB.[CDL (standard)], EmployeeDB.[Valid Driver's License], EmployeeDB.[Job Types], EmployeeDB.[Site Specific Training 1], EmployeeDB.[Site Specific Training 2], EmployeeDB.[Site Specific Training 3], EmployeeDB.[Site Specific Training 4], EmployeeDB.[Site Specific Training 5], EmployeeDB.[Site Specific Training 6], EmployeeDB.[Eligible for Rehire], EmployeeDB.Status
    FROM EmployeeDB
    WHERE (

(([Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState1] Is Null) And ([Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState2] Is Null) And ([Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState3] Is Null) And ([Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState4] Is Null)) Or ((EmployeeDB.State = [Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState1]) Or EmployeeDB.State = [Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState2]
    Or EmployeeDB.State = [Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState3] Or EmployeeDB.State = [Forms]![EmployeeListMenu]![ComboState4]));
    Thank you for your help - it did help in the end, just in a different way!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.