Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Moderator: Timing of Thread Notifications?

If I respond to a thread, how long from the save click before the forum sends a notification email to all who are subscribed to that thread? I'm asking because there's no forced "edit" flag after an edit (as for example as there is at Mr. Excel). Is there a time lag between that save and the email, such that if I make a minor correction before that time has elapsed, the corrected text and the answer sent in the email is the same? If there is a lag, how long is it, on average?

Or will the initial save be what goes into the email regardless of how fast I make a correction? I find the other forum's method odd seeing as how they don't send the answer text anyway, yet they do have a time limit for editing.

Guess what? I ended doing exactly what I'm talking about so I could add the last sentence as an afterthought, but it wasn't a planned thing.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    micron,

I don't know the answer, perhaps someone will respond.
    When I create a post and save, I assume the post is saved at that time and whatever email notification occurs behind the scenes--just occurs. If I see a spelling or grammar issue, I will edit my post and re-save. I sometimes will create a post/response and then further investigate (google etc and find additional info)--I will edit that previously saved post, add the new info and re-save.
    I am saving this response at 4:05 EDT.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I believe Matrix is the only one here that can answer Micron's original question.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I know from experience (sometimes bitter!) that notification emails are sent very soon if not immediately after posting.
    So its basically too late to prevent others reading your unedited post via email.

Different forums do seem to adopt different approaches
    I believe this forum allows edits but not deletions even after someone replies.
    By contrast AWF even allow subsequent deletions whereas UA doesn't let you edit at all (if my memory is correct as I'm no longer a UA member)
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Matrix is online now Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    The time limit of editing a post/thread title is 24 hours.

The time to show "edited by..." is two hours.

The notification emails are instant, but if there are many emails to be sent, the forum will schedule them for performance, but it should be sent out within minutes.

No matter how fast you edit a post, the emails always send the same content from the first save since the emails have been either sent or in the queue the moment after you click the submit button.

Unless we only send the thread link without post content, we can't control the email delay or alter the content. If we only send the link, many may find it inconvenient.

Besides the disadvantages mentioned in OP, another big drawback of sending post content is that, e.g.
    You receive a notification email, you read it and decide not to reply, you forget about it or wait for further notifications, but if you don't visit the forum, the forum won't send further notification emails. This can be a big disadvantage for a Q&A forum with many one-time posters.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    No matter how fast you edit a post, the emails always send the same content from the first save
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I agree, the post content is preferable.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.