rickm4484 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Find Record Control Button in Form, would like to predefine a value to find.

In my form I added a Find Record Button to find "(Unassigned)" items in a table of employees. I'm dedicating this button to one action, finding the first "(Unassigned)" record, and I labelled it as such. There will be always be several "(Unassigned)" items in this table and the user can click Next to advanced through them.

I tried modifying the Build Event of this control but keep getting errors and the program wants to close.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    My signature says it for me. In your case, some info on why you'd be happy just navigating to any old record that comes into view first, when you could see all/many or even just meaningful ones, or even why you just don't load a/this form with all those that fit the criteria.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    I do have another Find Record Button that will do a search on whatever criteria is entered, and it work's just fine. But for this one control, I'd like a one click action, clicking on this button immediately shows the next "(Unassigned)" item.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Maybe this is what you need. Impossible to say since not a whole lot has been revealed. I mean, what constitutes next? Then, what happens on a subsequent click? Move to the "next" that fits the bill? That's no longer the first, which is what you asked for "finding the first "(Unassigned)" record." Or will something be done to the "first" record, which means it no longer fits the criteria, so you again want the "first" and not the next. In a form based on a table, the order of records is not guaranteed to resemble the table view, so first, next or last isn't really isn't relevant. Regardless, it seems a bit of a strange approach when you could present all "unassigned" without a whole lot of clicking.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Yes, each (Unassigned) record has a series of yes/no checkboxes associated with them. Depending on which (Unassigned) record they pick, the yes/no data may be different. They can click through, Next, to find the record that has the set of check boxes with Yes (authority levels) checked to fit their particular authority. I have a report that presents all "unassigned" records, but there is no data entry through the report. As the form is setup, you can click Next to go to another record that shows the yes/no checks in the check boxes.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the link posted earlier and it appeared to be exactly what I need. But, my dilemma is to insert this command into my application. I right click on the control button in design view and then select Build Event, but I'm lost in that screen. I'll study it some more to figure out how to modify the On Click event of the button. I've tried variations, but it fails when I run the macro.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well, that sheds a bit more light on what you're doing, but it seems like a strange approach. If a user is looking for this
    the set of check boxes with Yes (authority levels) checked to fit their particular authority.
    why make them click from one record to another looking for it? Why not just present all the Unassigned, or all the Unassigned that are relevant to the user, or whatever? Now I think you ought to be filtering the form records to Unassigned, or My Unassiged, etc. which doesn't seem to call for a more complicated and less efficient Find operation. Plus, I have to wonder why you don't use a continuous form in that way, instead of requiring record navigation. Possibly this filter would be applied by user choosing some value from a combo box, whereupon the records are filtered as required.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.