Pradhansb is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Posting 2 or more records to the same table from a single form

Hello! And thank you for your help!
    I am a newbee (but getting better). I am designing a contact-type database for weddings. So my question is simple, although I suspect the answer might require some behind the scenes VBA. In a typical wedding situation, there are 2 main contacts (a bride and groom, etc). Both of these contacts ultimately are added to a contact table, with another related table recording role. I know I can create a form to enter each contact and role 1 at a time, but it would be ideal to create a "Master" entry form which has fields for both contacts, and then with a single Add command button, place the 2 contacts into the 1 contact table.

In other words, can 2 records be added to 1 table from a single form? Or must I simply create a single form, with an Add another contact button there

Thanks, and forgive my simplicity about this.

Pradhan

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Since there's a one-to-many relationship between the wedding and its contacts, you'd typically show this with a form bound to the wedding table and a subform bound to the contacts table. Master/child links keep them in sync with each other. The subform would be in continuous view, thus showing all contacts for that wedding.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Hi Paul, thanks. Showing the datain a subform is easy and done. I'm past that point. I am creating a dedicated form to add a contact to a table. To clarify my question, can I create a form which would have room for 2 contacts and add them both with a single add cmd button. I am simply trying to create an entry form the way a florist would think. Create an project (in this case a wedding), add a bride and groom, as opposed to add a bride, then add a groom. Not a big deal. Theoretically, I thought that my so-called
    Add button would in fact add the first contact, while storing the second, then add the second, then clear the form. I didn't know if this was do-able or even legitimate from a coding standpoint.

Pradhan

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You could add each to the contacts table with the AddNew method of a recordset in VBA.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pradhansb View Post
    .................. Create an project (in this case a wedding), add a bride and groom....................
    Then the main form should be based on the event and the bride and groom should be entered in a sub form.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Yes, that's how I have structured it...the wedding is kind of a project, which then has participants, venues. Honestly, as a novice, the most difficult part is structuring the data. The florist needs most regular access to the Bride's information. For an advanced Access user, this is a no-brainer, but for a novice, it seems to me this is the most challenging part. Should the contact table be the primary focus of the database to make it easiest to get data? Or should the event? I am learning along the way, and really appreciate your help, and the help of forums like this.

Thanks again,
    Pradhan

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Pradhansb View Post
    ..........Should the contact table be the primary focus of the database to make it easiest to get data? Or should the event? I am learning along the way, and really appreciate your help, and the help of forums like this.

Thanks again,
    Pradhan
    IMHO it should be the event. The event has a one to many relationship to the bride and groom. So main form for the event and sub forme for details of the bride and groom.

Great! I got that part right!
    Thanks again.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    @pradhansb
    You may get some structure ideas from this free Weddings data model from Barry Williams' site.
    It is generic and includes the most typical "subjects", but you can add or delete to suit your needs.

I have about 20% of those pieces! That is a great model, and I will study it to get an idea of the underlying thinking. It's doing more than I need but that's just fine. Thank you so much for the reference.
    Pradhan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.