jaykellogg is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Adding To Do list to time sheet database

I would like to build a To Do list into my time sheet database and I am guessing that somebody has probably done this before and may have some suggestions.

"Task" table fields (TaskID, Description, DueTime, TaskDuration in hours, EmployeeID Employee assigned the task, Finished Y or N, PredecessorTaskID)
    I think I will have to create another table with fields to enter how many hours a day each employee works each day of the week. We have some employees that only work a couple of days a week. Jay M=8, T=8, W=8, Th=8, F=8, Sa=4. Mark T=8, W=8.

Here is some information that I want the program to show me:
    1. What task should be worked on next for each employee
    2. Calculate each tasks start date in order to meet DueDate with logic that accommodates predecessor Tasks
    3. Show a "window" of available time if a client calls and requests work done
    4. Show how many hours we are behind to get on schedule

I can keep on going, but I think this is enough for now.

To summarize, I'm not looking for table setup or other fundamental setup help. I'm looking for help on the code to determine when each task should be started, how many hours are Tasked each day to each employee...

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Jay,
    Since this is your first post on the forum, and since you don't want advice on table set up, I recommend you give a high level description of the "business involved". Add details as needed to help users understand you and your needs.
    It is often a good practice to show readers your tables and relationships as a jpg/png. This helps put your question(s) into context which can lead to focused suggestions/advice. It also tends to be more efficient than a series of back and forth posts of guesses and misunderstandings/interpretations and clarifications.

Anyway --welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.
    Last edited by orange; 03-20-2018 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you for the quick response!

I should start by saying that I didn't mean that I do not want advice on table setup. I am open to any advice. I was trying to say that I can handle the table setup and was really looking for some thoughts on the code. This is an existing time and invoicing database and I want to add "Task Management" to it. So I hadn't really setup the task table (until you just asked).

I have attached a screen shot of my tables and a sample set of Task records.

Based on the sample data, how would you show that we have an opening, for Jay, of 8 hrs starting on 3/23 and nothing else scheduled after 3/30/18?
    Estimate A needs to start and finish 3/21
    Estimate B cannot start until 3/22 but can finish by the due date since it is 8 hrs long.
    Large Estimate can start as early as 3/23, since there is an opening, but does not need to start until 3/26, since no other tasks are in the queue
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TimeRelationships.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	33194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TimeRecords.GIF 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	33195

Jay,

This may be off topic, but to find out when a time slot is available this sample may be helpful.
    It is dealing with reservations/bookings but deals with finding available resources.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Orange,
    I checked your hotel reservation code out. I hadn't really thought about our employees and I as booked resources. I'm not saying that approach wouldn't work, but I believe it may be simpler if we didn't assign the Tasks to specific days/times. If an employee was working on a multi-day Task and a new Task comes in with an earlier completion date the employee would switch to the newer completion date Task. So, the Tasks are not locking in specific dates and time slots.

Am I making sense???

yes. good point. it isn't the same concept. I think you'll have to deal with each task's priority.
    And consider things like
    -absolutely must be done by date
    -task duration (without problems)
    -slack time

and more details on when an employee has a task assigned, but can be interrupted to do a higher priority task.

You might want to research project management concepts, critical path etc for ideas.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.