Fiddler is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Baby steps for setting up runtime version of Access in Cloud

Hi, I'm an old programmer who came back after 8 years, so I hadn't used the cloud or newer versions of runtime. I'm now working in a cloud environment (this is my first week). From what I understand, to create a version of Access that can be deployed to a handful of office personnel (who don't have Access), I'll download and use a "runtime" package to do the build and it will create an ACCDR version, not an ACCDB.

I don't really know how this works, particularly in the cloud. Will the runtime package split my db into front end and backend? Will users be adding data to my copy of Access (which is the only full version)? Is there any special code I need to include to point to any linked Excel files? (I'll be allowing importing from Excel for certain files). Do I need to install a version of Access on our server? I don't know how to write ODBC connections (or any connections) for the cloud as I don't know where anything is! I have to laugh.

In looking for information about this on the net, I've seen a couple postings that said ACCDR will not run VBA. Is this true? I standardly use unbound forms and perform all actions with VBA and SQL strings.

I hope some folks in this group can point me to baby steps on what I need to know to set this up successfully. Thank you for any help!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    no, runtime just runs.
    split your db with a full version of access, then runtime can run it.
    Im not sure about cloud usage for the BE, but if it can be accessed via a link, then it may work.
    It DOES work with network links.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Also, I think an accdr will run VBA, but I don't think it will let users see it. They also shouldn't be able to put anything into design view. If they only have the runtime version, they can't anyway, so I'd just distribute an accde.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I'll download and use a "runtime" package to do the build and it will create an ACCDR version
    No. Runtime access is a cut down version of full access - a bit like excel reader which allows you to open an existing excel file, but does not allow you to create new files or save changes to existing ones.

.accdr is used by developers to see how their app works in runtime (just change the file extension from .accdb to .accdr). Be aware that runtime misses a lot of functionality which you will need to provide yourself if required by the app. Navigation pane and ribbon will not be available, nor will right click menus. You will also need to specify a form and/or use an autoexec macro to make sure the app will start.

As far as the cloud is concerned, not clear what you mean. Access should be split into a front end (forms/reports/code/queries) and a back end (tables). The front end is client based - i.e. located on your clients machine and they will need runtime or full version installed in order to open and run it. The backend can be local (for a single user), but usually on the network. If you want a 'cloud based' backend, you will need to use something like sql azure - but be aware this relies on ip ranges for security to allow access. So not suitable for someone who works from a wide variety of locations and/or uses dynamic ip's when working from home.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks Ajax. Questions follow.
    This: does not allow you to create new files or save changes to existing ones.
    So my users would not be able to add values to a database via the forms I've provided?
    This: .accdr is used by developers to see how their app works in runtime (just change the file extension from .accdb to .accdr)
    This is a cool trick, but my understanding was that runtime is used to distribute copies to end users, so they can run the program without having to have a copy of access installed on their machines. Am I mistaken in this? I know that accde requires them to have a copy of Access installed, so I didn't want to use that as none of the intended users have Access. Microsoft has a downloadable runtime builder--why is this necessary if I can just change the extension?

I don't want users to have access to right mouse or ribbons, and I always build my own startup events, so the rest is okay.

About the cloud--I'm still fuzzy. I might have to play with it to find out. Thanks for the tip on Azure. Never used it and didn't know.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks pbaldy. Yeah, I don't want them to see the code or go into design view, but as I stated, I can't use accde as the users don't have Access installed and it requires that they do.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks ranman. When you say it "just runs," do you mean it lacks capability to allow updating tables with input values? What I got from Ajax seems to indicate this might be so.

If it works with network links, I agree that it may work with cloud. Just a matter of finding out where to point the connections, I think.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Thanks pbaldy. Yeah, I don't want them to see the code or go into design view, but as I stated, I can't use accde as the users don't have Access installed and it requires that they do.
    You're misunderstanding things. The runtime version of Access is Access being installed, but without design capability. Most of my users have the runtime version, and they all run accde files.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    think these have been answered but for the record
    This: does not allow you to create new files or save changes to existing ones.
    So my users would not be able to add values to a database via the forms I've provided?
    yes they can. They are not changing the design, only the data

This: .accdr is used by developers to see how their app works in runtime (just change the file extension from .accdb to .accdr)
    This is a cool trick, but my understanding was that runtime is used to distribute copies to end users
    No, runtime is a program the user needs to install on their machine if they don't have a full version of access. You can either bundle it with your application for the user to install, or you instruct the user to download it from the web.

so they can run the program without having to have a copy of access installed on their machines.
    No they need a copy - either the full version or the runtime version.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ah! Clarity emerges from my fog. Thanks a bunch, Ajax!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.