snowboarder234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Images did not transfer when file was moved to another drive

To clarify -- all the folders are contained in one main folder entitled UC MEXUS Library, which was transferred to another drive. When the transfer was complete the images in the BookCover folder did not transfer.

Images in folder called BookCover did not transfer when the main folder [UC MEXUS Library]
    Database is in folder called RevisedLibrary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Move.JPG   Folders.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    And what method did you use to move/copy folders? Manually copy/paste with Windows File Explorer?

How would that be an Access issue?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Are the cover images actually in the database, or are you using links to the image files? If you are using links, and the full path including the drive letter is in the link, that may be the issue. The images were probably moved properly, but now the links to them are no longer valid.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    And what method did you use to move/copy folders? Manually copy/paste with Windows File Explorer?
    Response: I copied/pasted the folder containing all the data.

How would that be an Access issue?
    Response: Sorry -- I'm not sure how it could NOT be an Access issue?

The cover images are in a folder, and are linked via a table in a different folder like this:
    C:\Users\Louise\Documents\UC MEXUS Library\BookCover\A\Aboites_ElAgua.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    Are the cover images actually in the database, or are you using links to the image files? If you are using links, and the full path including the drive letter is in the link, that may be the issue. The images were probably moved properly, but now the links to them are no longer valid.

The cover images are in a folder, and are linked via a table in a different folder like this:

To June7 & John_G -- Just realized I left out a crucial piece of information. When I copied/pasted the folder on MY COMPUTER to what is a communal drive, I am able to see the images. It's the other person (ahem, my BOSS) who cannot see the images when viewing the folder from HER COMPUTER. Sorry for the oversight.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    That's your issue, then. The links contain the full path, including the Drive designation - in this case C:\, so when you moved the folder UC MEXUS Library (and its subfolders) to another location, the links were no longer valid, and you have to update the links in the table. That is not as difficult as it appears; a single SQL Update statement will do it.

First, make a backup of your database, just in case (you should always be making backups anyway).

Then, you use a SQL statement something like this:

"Update tablename set linkfieldname = replace(linkfieldname,'C:\Users\Louise\Documents\', 'newpathname')"

This statement will replace all the old path names in the links with the new one, leaving the actual folder part unchanged.

Replace the names in italics with the names you use in your database.

I received you post as I was hitting the send button. Do I still try the SQL statement in light of this information: To June7 & John_G -- Just realized I left out a crucial piece of information. When I copied/pasted the folder on MY COMPUTER to what is a communal drive, I am able to see the images. It's the other person (ahem, my BOSS) who cannot see the images when viewing the folder from HER COMPUTER. Sorry for the oversight.

That's your issue, then. The links contain the full path, including the Drive designation - in this case C:\, so when you moved the folder UC MEXUS Library (and its subfolders) to another location, the links were no longer valid, and you have to update the links in the table. That is not as difficult as it appears; a single SQL Update statement will do it.

First, make a backup of your database, just in case (you should always be making backups anyway).

"Update tablename set linkfieldname = replace(linkfieldname,'C:\Users\Louise\Documents\', 'newpathname')"

This statement will replace all the old path names in the links with the new one, leaving the actual folder part unchanged.

I received your post as I was hitting the send button. Do I still try the SQL statement in light of this information: To June7 & John_G -- Just realized I left out a crucial piece of information. When I copied/pasted the folder on MY COMPUTER to what is a communal drive, I am able to see the images. It's the other person (ahem, my BOSS) who cannot see the images when viewing the folder from HER COMPUTER. Sorry for the oversight.

Unfortunately, I do not have any coding skills. I don't have a clue as even where to begin to do a SQL statement. Is their another option?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You can use the query object designer to build an UPDATE query object.

Or you can use the Find/Replace dialog.

No coding skills required.

Suggest you make a copy of the table and practice before doing it on your actual data.

You must be able to see the images because you still have a folder of the images in the original location.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.