StuartR is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Why has email hyperlink stopped working ?

A wee bit advice needed ...

My database table has a number of hyperlink fields to store email addresses. The table is accessed from various forms and reports, but when you click on the hyperlink in any of these locations, including the main table, then nothing is happening. This was tested as I was developing the system, and I am sure the default email programme (microsoft outlook) previously opened up with the recipients email address already entered.

Has there been an update to outlook that is affecting this, or have I lost a setting of some sort in Access.

I am using Access 2016.

Any clues would be appreciated.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    what does the hyperlink say? mailto:?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ranman,

They are simply hyperlink fields as set in the data type on the property sheet in the table design view. Where would one stipulate "mailto:" ???

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    How are you inputting hyperlinks into field - with the Insert Hyperlink dialog?

Type the email address into the Address box and Access automatically prefixes with mailto:.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks June ~ a wee bit progress here, but still a mystery to be solved.

It transpires that if you add a new record, the email address works fine, as it did originally (which was with test data all entered individually). The issue seems to be with records that we have imported from a previous table, where the field was simply a text field and we were importing it into a hyperlink field. The data appears like a hyperlink, underlined etc, but does not act as one ~ as previously mentioned, clicking on it does nothing while it should open up the default email programme which it is doing with new records.

So the issue now is how we convert the existing imported email addresses into "real" hyperlink data. We have 213 of them so re-entering does not appeal. Any suggestions ???

Cheers

Stuart

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Hyperlink fields consist of two (or three) parts. If you import a text field into a hyperlink field it will not work as it only contains one of the parts.
    See this link http://allenbrowne.com/casu-09.html
    Many developers avoid hyperlink fields as they can be difficult to use

You need to create or find a function to complete the missing section in each record
    Or I would recommend changing back t a text field and using mail to.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is online now VIP
    Can use an UPDATE query to correct the existing records.

UPDATE tablename SET fieldname = "mailto:" & [fieldname] WHERE fieldname NOT LIKE "mailto:*";

or

UPDATE tablename SET fieldname = "mailto:" & Left([fieldname], InStr([fieldname], "@")) & "#mailto:" & [fieldname] & "#" WHERE fieldname NOT LIKE "mailto:*";

I tried to construct the second UPDATE to run in VBA immediate window with CurrentDb.Execute and kept getting 'data mismatch' errors. Works in Access query object.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.