msmithtlh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Possible security issue with formerly error free database

I have a split database (data on network, front-end on multiple PCs), all in Access. I recently created a few new queries and modified a report. Now, suddenly without anyone purposely changing anything, all the forms will not allow you to edit a record or create a new record. I am thinking that the user rights are messed up. i did all the programming (since 2003) on this database, but have never messed with user rights or the Trust Center. With this new problem, I have looked at the Trust Center and at rights, per windows explorer. I have read the help screen for the trust center, and tried to make changes, but without success. Help!!!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    This is true for every form that deals with data? If not, open the queries that the problem forms are based on (assuming they're not based solely on tables). If you cannot edit the data in query datasheet view, then the problem may be that the queries are no longer updatable due to your modifications. If that doesn't help because it's true for all forms, then it could be a rights issue as you say. Step through the code and ensure the necessary parameters are in effect. It's even possible that every form is connected to some table or query that you've modified in a way to make it non updatable. This can happen when queries are nested, wherein only one contains the problem - it will likely propagate the issue.

Nothing has changed on the network, and everyone who has a copy of the FE experiences the same issue? What about testing in the same environment (network, equipment, etc) with an unaltered backup FE copy that worked before the mods?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

This happens with every data entry form. The database is for a Christian school. The primary tables are individuals, classes, churches, and businesses. On the primary data entry forms for each of those, you cannot enter a new record

will wait to hear your results from the suggested tests. I take it that no network is involved, but much of the rest of that should be applicable.
    Step through the code and ensure the necessary parameters are in effect. It's even possible that every form is connected to some table or query that you've modified in a way to make it non updatable. This can happen when queries are nested, wherein only one contains the problem - it will likely propagate the issue.
    ...everyone who has a copy of the FE experiences the same issue? What about testing in the same environment (network, equipment, etc) with an unaltered backup FE copy that worked before the mods?
    If that's all foreign to you, then you could post a copy of your front and back ends. If there's any sensitive data, you can delete most data and use Mickey, Donald, Daffy, etc. for names. Just leave enough to work with - or copy the db's and delete and re-insert data. NOTE: any time you copy a front/back end database, you MUST ensure the fe copy points to the new be copy, otherwise deleting data in the fe copy will delete your master data - because the fe copy is still linked to the master be.

Thanks, Micron. I really don't think it is the code. I have been on the phone with our network administrator, and something seems to have gone "wacky" (like that technical term?) with the user rights on the network. He has had me try a few things, but we have decided to wait until he is back next week and put our heads together. Looking at the user rights from windows explorer, on the database file that contains the data, all the rights are gone except "read." This is consistent with what I can do on the database. I have one idea, if everything else fails: create a blank database, be sure the rights are correct, then import all the tables into the fresh database. Do you think that would work?

One other thing I have noticed today. Access creates a small (1 kb) file with the same name as the data file, when the data file is open. But normally, when all users exit the database, that file is automatically deleted. It is not deleting when everyone is out. What issues could that be causing? Thanks.

I saw this on my phone earlier and thought, I wonder if the permissions on the db folder(s) are not correct. Any db user must have read, write, edit, create AND delete rights on the folder. If they can't create (entering new records isn't the same thing) then they can't create the laccdb (ldb in some prior versions). They may get an error message, or they may simply be denied access. The leftover files can be because some users cannot delete, or there could be abnormal termination of their db copy (their way of shutting things down, or a power failure can also do this). I have seen cases where folder permissions caused these sorts of problems. However, the fact that the file remains has never stopped anyone of my users from gaining access again. It would simply be over-written upon re-entry.

I'm assuming "front-end on multiple PCs" means each user has their own fe copy and are not sharing. If they are sharing one fe, then not so good.

I don't see how starting over would help much. If you can't modify permissions on the folder or its files, then creating a new db is likely to inherit the same problem if that's what's going on here.

Turned out to be a user rights problem on the network, not an MS Access issue. Thanks to everyone for responses.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.