haggis999 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Is there a non Click-to-Run version of the 32-bit Access 2016 Runtime?

I have just tried to install the 32-bit Access 2016 Runtime on my laptop (I am forced to use the 32-bit version, as this laptop also has a copy of 32-bit Office 2007), but the installation failed with the following error.
    We're sorry, Office Click-to-Run installer encountered a problem becasue you have these Windows Installer based Office programs installed on your computer:
    Microsoft Office Professional 2016 ~ en-us

The above referenced copy of Office Pro 2016 has just been installed but does not yet have a licence. It will remain working for the next 5 days while I decide whether to pay for another licence. In the meantime, I would like to get the runtime working without having to first remove the unlicenced copy of Office Pro 2016.

Using a non Click-to-Run version of the 32-bit Access 2016 Runtime would seem to be the solution, but I have failed to find such a download. Any help would be much appreciated.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    have you tried downloading from here?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=50040

This used to be the case, perhaps it is no longer an issue but be aware if you have two versions of access (2007/2016) then when you open the runtime app windows will remove the 2007 full version from your machine and install the 2016 runtime. To reinstate the full version, the reverse process will occur. Double clicking on a .accdb will be opened by whatever version is installed.

Not sure why you want a later version than everything else you have, if you just want to see what runtime looks like, in 2007, rename your .accdb as .accdr

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    have you tried downloading from here?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=50040
    Yes, that's where I got the CTR version of the runtime that fails to install.

Not sure why you want a later version than everything else you have, if you just want to see what runtime looks like, in 2007, rename your .accdb as .accdr
    I'm not using an .accdb file. My Access app is an .mdb file that can run under either Access 2007 or Access 2016. Retaining a full copy of Access 2007 on this laptop is desirable for debugging purposes, but I also want to run it under the Access 2016 Runtime to see if that fixes some obscure intermittent problems I have been experiencing.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Although it is possible to have 2 full versions of Access on the same machine (I have full versions of 2010 & 2016 for testing purposes)), handling VBA references can be problematic if you aren't very careful.
    Ajax has already indicated that isn't feasible with runtime & full versions.

However what you CAN do, is create virtual machines and install different versions of Office/Access & indeed Windows.
    This is the standard method used by developers to check for potential issues in different versions

For example I also have 2 VMs with A2007 and even A2003 for occasional use.
    I never got round to buying A2013 or I'd have that on a VM as well.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I agree with Colin - but it comes at a small cost. There are free versions of VM out there but you will need to install a valid licensed windows OS.

With regards your particular problem, I don't know but suspect that because access is part of the office environment, it expects certain elements from the other office products - and it is this that is causing the issue. When installing, you should be given the option of installing the default or you can select which elements you require - if so untick anything that relates to other office apps.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ridders52 View Post
    Although it is possible to have 2 full versions of Access on the same machine (I have full versions of 2010 & 2016 for testing purposes)), handling VBA references can be problematic if you aren't very careful.
    Ajax has already indicated that isn't feasible with runtime & full versions.

However what you CAN do, is create virtual machines and install different versions of Office/Access & indeed Windows.
    This is the standard method used by developers to check for potential issues in different versions

For example I also have 2 VMs with A2007 and even A2003 for occasional use.
    I never got round to buying A2013 or I'd have that on a VM as well.
    Hi Colin,
    You make a good point with your warning about VBA references, but so far I have managed to avoid such pitfalls.

What Ajax actually said was "be aware if you have two versions of access (2007/2016) then when you open the runtime app windows will remove the 2007 full version from your machine and install the 2016 runtime. To reinstate the full version, the reverse process will occur".

I am used to that behaviour and it is not a significant problem, though it does take several seconds to switch between versions. At present, I see no need for virtual machines. However, I haven't seen anything indicating that full versions of Access can't coexist with runtime versions.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    ... With regards your particular problem, I don't know but suspect that because access is part of the office environment, it expects certain elements from the other office products - and it is this that is causing the issue. When installing, you should be given the option of installing the default or you can select which elements you require - if so untick anything that relates to other office apps.
    I'm fairly certain that the installation process for the Access 2016 Runtime offered no options. The error message quoted in my OP makes it clear that the issue is that the Access 2016 Runtime installer uses Microsoft's 'Click-to-Run' process, which is incompatible with my existing 'Windows Installer' based Office Pro 2016 installation.

A non Click-to-Run, i.e. Windows Installer version of the 32-bit Access 2016 Runtime still seems to be the required solution, if only I could find such a download.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.