claytonW703 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Buttons are different size in Form View vs Design View and Layout View

The buttons I've created for a form are displayed as different sizes depending on whether you're in Form View (this where they look wrong), Layout View (look ok here), and Design View (look ok here also). I've checked the controls parameters for the size and position and they're as they should be. What gives?

I think I attached my Access project so that you can see where I likely mussed things up.

Thank you for any replies.

Clayton
    Attached Files Attached Files

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    An interesting challenge! It is the property Horizontal Anchor - change it to Left instead of Both.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Never mind.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post

...It is the property Horizontal Anchor - change it to Left instead of Both...
    That does resolve the problem...but the OP needs to know that you have to be careful, when cribbing code from elsewhere...the 'Exit' button, for instance, has no code to exit the Form!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

"has no code to exit the Form"
    That's kinda on purpose. My goal is to end up posting/publishing/saving it to Sharepoint so that this and a query form are available from my employer's intraweb. As such I hadn't yet learned what all will happen if I truly exit the form when it's viewed from a web page. Ideally I'd like to have the "exit" button clear the form (which I think the code I have in there {
    If Me.Dirty = True Then : Me.Undo : End If} does) then navigate backward on the web page to where ever the user was before he entered the form. Reality may steer me to a different solution/use-case but this is what I'm thinking currently.... as a complete Access and VB noob (albiet with many years of Perl/Java/JS experience).
    Is it as simple as adding "history.back(1)" or history.go(-1)" to the exit button's VB code?

Clayton
    Last edited by claytonW703; 02-05-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: add extra detail

CJ_London is online now VIP
    what all will happen if I truly exit the form when it's viewed from a web page
    Bit confused by this statement. Access is a client based system - the application sits on the users pc, not on the web anywhere. So your web page would need to activate a local application, it would not be activated in a browser.

Is it as simple as adding "history.back(1)" or history.go(-1)" to the exit button's VB code?
    Assuming you can get your web page to activate a local application, unless you have code to the contrary the web page will remain open, so closing the app does not need to do anything, the web page will still be there.

I don't know your particular situation, but it sounds like you are making assumptions about the capabilities of access which have not be validated.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by claytonW703 View Post

...My goal is to end up posting/publishing/saving it to Sharepoint so that this and a query form are available from my employer's intraweb...
    My understanding of two things I think you need to know:

• Publishing an Access app for internet use requires the use of Macros...VBA code cannot be used!
    • As of v2013, publishing to the internet is no longer supported! Version 2013 is backward compatible, i.e. you can run Access web apps developed in previous versions, but can no longer develop new apps for use on the web.

Maybe I'm wrong here, perhaps others more knowledgeable can jump in, but I'm pretty sure that this is correct, and wouldn't want you to spend a lot of time and effort on this project only to find out that 'you can't get there from here,' as it were!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    things I think you need to know
    Thank you for these comments. I haven't invested a regrettable amount of time into this yet as I've only sporadically been doing some development.

My first task when starting this project was to try to "publish" something (anything really) from my desktop Access 2013 to my company's Sharepoint (even knowing that it's "not supported"). There was an error notice stating as much but also linking to how my admin can enable apps on sharepoint. Ensuring that some sort of publish capability was tops on my list of things to check before investing much time into development in Access. Apps have yet to be enabled by my admin and you've inspired me to press on this subject with them. I've also thought about abandoning Access and using only SharePoint. Most of my friends with some Access knowledge whom I've queried for help usually end the conversation with something like: "Why don't you just do this in SharePoint". However how to go about doing what I want in SharePoint eludes them. (see: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...arepointsearch)

So this is where I'm at: I'm supporting a company that has "bought in" to the MS365 environment so (1) I believe MS solutions are my only option; (2) I want a web/intranet based solution; and (3) I want to be able execute a query and be presented with a list of paragraphs from numerous documents that match against a very large string (another paragraph itself). I believe I could continue down the path of using Access with the risk of the product not being web-accessible. That might be acceptable to my leadership. But if I'm spending my time in the wrong areas (i.e. Access DBs) then it'd be helpful to know that.

Thank you for any thoughts/replies.

Clayton

SharePoint is a shared environment for storing documents and lists (lists are the equivalent of tables, but not the same - see this link https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff798319.aspx)

If you want a web solution then access is not for you

your requirement for matching very long strings sounds potentially problematic. there is a limit, not sure for access specifically but sql in general is limited to 8k characters (4k if using Unicode). Also not sure the Like predicate is supported in sharepoint - link above may tell you, certainly sharepoint has limitations on the types of joins you can use.

Access is two products in one, a front end development/run environment for forms and reports and a backend (tables). The front end can be developed to use pretty much any backend, but as per my post #6, it is client based - so you need to understand the implications of 'risk of the product not being web-accessible'. If web accessability is a requirement, you could still use the access backend (although there are better options such as azure), but the front end will need to be developed as a web application using something like visual studio.

June7 is online now VIP
    @Ajax, not sure true Access can't be used in web development. Exactly what are Access web databases for then? I've never published web db but I've seen and debugged them for posters. Look at the templates offered by MS, a number are web-based design, including a Northwind Sales example. I think they are intended to work in concert with SharePoint.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Exactly what are Access web databases for then?
    Nothing now, they have been deprecated. The only reason they still work is because MS are giving developers a chance to move to a new platform - see this link https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...map/ba-p/57148. From April this year, they will cease to work. However if your company has on premises (i.e. owns and supports the hardware) sharepoint servers, you have another year or so. I have many clients and none of them have on premise sharepoint servers

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.