markjkubicki is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

value from a closed data file

searched and searched, and found lots relating to EXCEL, but nothing to ACCESS

is it possible to retrieve the value from a single field in the only record in a table when the mdb file is closed and currently un-linked ?

if I link the table (as a back-end) to get that value, I can't update (ADD/MOD/DEL) fields to the table (while it is linked); even if i subsequently break the links, best that i can tell is that access still thinks the file is open, and if it is open, I also cannot make the update.
    I'm trying to retrieve a value in that file's table tblSYS which is the date of that file's last update (to determine if it is up-to-date...)

m.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    is it possible to retrieve the value from a single field in the only record in a table when the mdb file is closed and currently un-linked ?
    No - that would be like trying to find a word in a dictionary while it is still on the shelf.

I can't update (ADD/MOD/DEL) fields to the table (while it is linked)
    Not true. Creating a link to a table in that database does not open it; the other database is only opened when the linked table is opened. You don't have to break the link to make structural changes to the linked database, but you can only make design changes in that linked database by opening it directly - you can't use the link - and you have to have exclusive access to it, i.e.you are the only user who has it open.

If you open the BE database and get error messages that you cannot make design changes to it, then someone else may have it open, either directly or by opening a linked table. Might this be the case in your scenario?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    No - that would be like trying to find a word in a dictionary while it is still on the shelf.
    Hmmm, not even by using an ADODB connection? I know I can cycle the Bypass key property in a db from another db. Never tried the quoted, by don't see why not.
    Last edited by Micron; 01-29-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: used wrong quote
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.