bkwadwania is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Working with a list from a different table

I have list of 1200 customers for check cashing. Lets say Adam, Steve and Brad. I also have a list of 100 companies that the check is issued from. Lets say Adam and Steve work for Colors R Us and Brad works ABC Landscapers. So those companies i have are in a different table. I need to make a list where i enter checks that i have cashed for these customers. The new list would read Name of customer and his phone number (I need them both from check cashing table), name of the company (that would be from company table) and the amount and date of the check cashed. so how do i make this happen where i enter the name of the customer and select it as i type from drop down list.

llkhoutx is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Relate customer list to company list, recognizing a customer will/can work for different companies, simultaneously or on at a time. Using a combo box to select a company and then the related customers in another combo box. Both combo boxes should be updateable on the fly.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    That is called cascading or dependent comboboxes and is a very common topic. Search web or forum for examples and discussion.

If you don't really need the cascading functionality, a single combobox can display the individual and company info in the dropdown list.

I presume the Customers table has a foreign key field for the company ID primary key. Build a query that links Customers and Companies tables to be the RowSource of the combobox. Something like:

SELECT CustomerID, LastName & ", " & FirstName AS FullName, Phone, CompanyName FROM Customers INNER JOIN Companies ON Companies.ID=Customers.CompID;
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.