Gemini is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access 2016 - Contacts Template - Search Function Limitation

Hello,

I am brand new to database design so please forgive beginner questions.

I am using Access 2016 "Contacts" template. The built in Search function on the Form view of the database seems to default to searching only the "name" columns of the data table.

Is there a way to reassign the search function to a different data column? I want the search function to search in the "notes" column of the data table and yield search results of contact forms that contain the search term in the notes column.

I hope the question is clear. Thanks in advance.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    As in prior versions of Access, you cannot search in a memo field (long text).
    This may also apply to 2016.

Gemini is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks ranman256. If the search function cannot be redirected to the notes field, is there any other way to query the data that would give a functional equivalent to this? (workaround).

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Gemini,

Please describe your table and what you are trying to do in plain English --no database jargon.
    I am not familiar with the template you mention.

And/Or post a copy of your database with instructions.

Gemini is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Orange,

I have a database in Access 2016 based on the "Contacts" template. The table data fields correlate to Outlook contact cards (first name, last name, company, title, email, etc.). You can see the table view in the screen shot below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	32342

The "Search" function only seems to scan the names and titles columns of the records table.

I would like to be to able to search in the "notes" column of the records. Another poster mentioned that this was not possible but I don't understand why it would be impossible in principle. (I just don't know how to do it in practice).

It seems to me that the search feature has an assigned function to search in specified columns of the data table (first name, last name, company, title) but not the others. I would like to add a column in the search feature so that it will also search in those columns.

For example, I fill out the notes section of a vendor contact record with product keywords for products that our company buys from that vendor. I want our employees to be able to search for that product and have the list generate all the records containing that search term in the notes column.

I hope it's clear. Any idea how to attack this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

Gemini is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    As it happens I did find a "workaround" solution... In the data table I just applied a filter to the notes column and specified that the table display records containing such and such terms as I specify in the filter. This is a functional equivalent to what I am trying to do but it has additional steps involved and it's not quite as "point and click" easy for new employees to understand. I'm trying to make the process as simple as possible for new employees.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Mark,

I am not an Outlook user --haven't been for several years.
    When you use a template it's a bit like buying a solution from a Vendor. If your data and requirements do NOT MATCH those of the author/package provider, then you have to
    a) adapt your processes and needs to those of the author/package provider, or
    b) adapt the package(customize to your needs) which may put more development and maintenance on you than you bargained for.

A Notes section as defined with datatype Memo is really a catch-all. Memo/long text is a different structure and has some idiosyncrasies. It may not be suited to your needs, even though conceptually it may.

Given that you want to identify Products and vendors by means of keywords associated with Products (that you have purchased from said Vendor). Consider (just thinking out loud) a separate table with Product, keywords/terms and other fields depending on your needs. This could be part of the customization to make the "template" a better fit with your needs.

A fault with many purchased packages/solutions is that purchasers often try to adapt their business processes to those of the package -sometimes it works, sometimes it is catastrophic.

I notice that there is no data /nothing in therelationships window with the Contacts template (at least the one I just downloaded).
    In order to customize/extend a database application it is good to have a picture of the underlying data structure that you can adjust and test before making major decisions. (Strongly recommended since it helps you understand the tables and linkages)

I also note that you have only a few posts on this forum. Do not overlook the importance of database concepts. Too often we see posters who have purchased the latest version of Office/Access, the latest HW and OS with full intentions of having Access build them a database. It really doesn't work like that. Just like flying an airplane or building a house, you need to understand some concepts of flight/physics/training/practice/instruction... or (local bylaws, design, engineering techniques, carpentry, electrical..).
    Access is a package -great for rapid development and operational systems - but it is based on database principles and embedded "routines" that do what you tell it. Just advising that database is a bigger elephant than a table or template in Access. Using the "tool" properly will save you many headaches.

Enough soapbox. Do you have a list of requirements? That's where you really have to start. This may lead you to some customization opportunities or point out some "issues/shortcomings" with the template.

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.