Xdj is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Creating a Search or Query for Data Backups ***Newbie***

Hello All,

Please excuse my ignorance of MS Access but I've been trying to organize my backups and I thought ms access would be great to use...big mistake! After 5 hours of trying to figure things out I could have done it manually.
    So, I'm committed now and would really appreciate any help to figure out how to do what I'm trying to do!
    Ok, here it goes: I'm a stickler for backing up my system, I was in the IT industry for 20+ years and have seen many a person break down in tears because they had lost all their data because of a hardware crash and no backups. I on the other hand, over do it and do not do a good job of organizing my backups. I have 15 drives with multiple copies of my data, majority are photos and video (I'm an amateur sports photographer) so it's time to consolidate my backups.
    Sorry, I got off topic...Basically I want to know where my backups are over the 15 drives. I know there's going to be at least 3 copies if not 4 or 5 copies of my data so I want to search (I guess query) the 15 columns of folders and files I have listed in MS Excel and use that info for Access.

So, I have 15 columns with all the files and folders listed under the name of the drives in a worksheet. I would like some how to query all the drives and have a list with the folder/file name and what drives they are on. Example: MyDocs happen to be on Drive A,C,D, and X so the query should output something like MyDocs - Drives, A C D X; Basketball Pics - Drives B C P X and so on.
    I'm not sure of the output layout, but something that shows the folder/file names and the corresponding drive it is on.
    It sounds like an inventory query but I just could not get anything to work. Even the duplicator function in MS Access could not find duplicates...which I know there is.
    Well, I think that's it. Thank you in advance for your help. Cheers

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome to the forum....

Sounds like a fun project. Do you have a dB started?

In command prompt, you can use commands like
    cd c:\ 'switch to c drive
    dir /s/a-d-h /n/tw/oe > dirTest.txt

to list all files to a text file. Then it would be a matter of some VBA to read the lines in the text file, check the extension to see if it was a file you wanted to save in the dB. If it was a file to save, parse out the path and maybe the last written date/time, then append to the tables.

Could maybe use a batch file with 15 commands to list (append) files for each drive
    It might look like

dir C:\ /s/a-d-h /n/tw/oe > dirTest.txt
    dir D:\ /s/a-d-h /n/tw/oe >> dirTest.txt
    dir E:\ /s/a-d-h /n/tw/oe >> dirTest.txt
    dir X:\ /s/a-d-h /n/tw/oe >> dirTest.txt

The ">>" is the DOS append redirector. (see http://www.lagmonster.org/docs/DOS7/pipes.html#pipe)

Maybe a table with fields for drive and path and a table for file name, last written date/time..

The time intensive part would be writing the code......

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.