TyeRulz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Just looking for a good starting point for a project that is way over my head.

I am just looking for a good source of information for the project described below. Any links, tips or info would be appreciated. I just don't want to spend too much time figuring out how to do this.

I am looking to replace what up to this point has been a manually entry process in Excel, to one where I can set up Access and import Excel sheet to render reports.

A little bit about the information I an working with. This information pertains to invoicing and payment for these invoices. The info will be serial number, inv number, Repair Order number, segment number, claim number, last date of labor, date Repair Order opened, date inv was submitted, parts total, labor total, other total, total.

I can export the information I need from two different systems onto Excel sheets. One sheet for the invoicing info and one for the credit info. These two sheets will have the same information on them, but may be under different field names. I will also have to concatenate two fields (RO # and Segment #) in order to get a unique key to join the two tables (I think).

Here is what I hope to accomplish - have a record of all inv's and all credits. Also, run reports that will render the variance between the inv'd and credited labor, parts and other totals. Additionally the elapsed days between the last labor date and the date the invoice was submitted.

I know my way around Access on a basic level, but I know I am going to have trouble with getting the field names to align on both sheets with the information. EX: one sheet may call the ID # PIN and the other may call it SERNO, but they will have matching info in the cells. Also, the maths in Access is something I do not have experience with.

Thanks in advance.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here is a link to info on Access and database design/planning.
    Within an application, you should be using the same name for the fields you say have different names depending on the source.
    This means you may have to pre-setup the incoming data before processing with Access. Also, from the Access perspective you should adopt a naming convention that does not use embedded spaces not special characters.
    Access has a number of reserved words that you should avoid.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.