dwheatley is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Query not filtering by date

Hi,

I have a query with the following SQL:

SELECT tblCompanies.Company, tblServicePrice.Service, tblServicePrice.Price, tblServicePrice.Currency, tblServicePrice.[Number of Issues], tblDeadlines.Deadline
    FROM (tblCompanies INNER JOIN tblDeadlines ON tblCompanies.ID = tblDeadlines.Company) INNER JOIN tblServicePrice ON tblCompanies.ID = tblServicePrice.Company
    WHERE (((tblCompanies.Company)=[Forms]![SearchF]![Company]) AND ((tblServicePrice.Service)=[Forms]![SearchF]![Service]) AND ((tblDeadlines.Deadline)>Date())) OR ((([Forms]![SearchF]![Company]) Is Null) AND (([Forms]![SearchF]![Service]) Is Null) AND ((tblDeadlines.Deadline)>Date()));

The only aspect which is not working is the filtering by date. I have tried to make the query only return results after today's date. It seems that Access is simply ignoring my date command.

Please help!

andy49 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Why not create
    Qry1 results after date()

Then apply your query (minus date check) to qry1

I suspect the issue is your brackets. Mixing and with or often leads to issues if the brackets aren’t correct

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have now updated my SQL and have a new problem.

I can leave Company and Service fields blank and the Query will return those results filtered by date (great)
    I can select both a Company AND a service, and the Query will return results filtered by date (also great)
    However, if I leave EITHER Company or Service blank, then the Query will return no results whatsoever.

Do you know why this might be?

My SQL for the Query is:

SELECT tblCompanies.Company, tblServicePrice.Service, tblServicePrice.Price, tblServicePrice.Currency, tblServicePrice.[Number of Issues], tblServicePrice.Comments, tblDeadlines.DeadlineFROM (tblCompanies INNER JOIN tblServicePrice ON tblCompanies.ID = tblServicePrice.Company) INNER JOIN tblDeadlines ON tblCompanies.ID = tblDeadlines.Company
    WHERE (((tblServicePrice.Service)=[Forms]![SearchF]![Service]) AND ((tblDeadlines.Deadline)>Date()) AND ((tblServicePrice.Company)=[Forms]![SearchF]![Company])) OR (((tblDeadlines.Deadline)>Date()) AND (([Forms]![SearchF]![Service]) Is Null) AND (([Forms]![SearchF]![Company]) Is Null));

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Probably because you have AND for both those fields which works if both are null or has values. But if you have one null and other a value, then the AND returns no records as you would need an OR there I believe. You might need 2 more conditions each for Service and Company like:

((tblServicePrice.Service)=[Forms]![SearchF]![Service]) AND (tblDeadlines.Deadline)>Date()) OR ((tblServicePrice.Company)=[Forms]![SearchF]![Company]) AND (tblDeadlines.Deadline)>Date())

brackets might not be right

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That has solved it, thanks a lot!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.