00253 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Smile Add content of text fields with dLookUp() from form into new record; Deleting a record breaks form?

Hello to whomever is reading this.

In my form, user inputs some basic information into fields. Name, age, height, weight.
    Based upon this, several other form fields are automatically filled in with dLookUp(). Life expectancy, BMI.
    When using this form to add a new record, I have no trouble assigning the control source of the form fields that the user inputs (= corresponding columns in my desired storage table). I can add those into the new record, no problem.
    But I don't know how to also add to the new record the forms fields whose control source is dLookUp()?

What would be a correct way to do this?

I also noticed that when I manually delete a record added using the form, the form fields with control source bound to the table refused to cooperate - value in those fields is something like #DELETED. This is not a desired behavior for me, am I doing something wrong? I want to be able to delete old records with the form still working.

Thank you for your time!

andy49 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Why save them at all? They can always be called by a query based on the data you do have.

00253 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by andy49 View Post
    Why save them at all? They can always be called by a query based on the data you do have.
    That would be true if the data loaded by dLookup remained the same throughout the life of the database, and they don't in my case. The example I posted (age, BMI, etc.) is ilustrative - the real case is more complicated and I'd really like to solve this by recording all the values from the form. But thanks for the input - I'll definetly think about it.

andy49 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Just off the top of my head, perhaps a button which ran an update query (thereby storing your values)

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The form must be refreshed or requeried to remove the #DELETED.

VBA can save the lookup values. The real trick is figuring out what event to put the code into. Perhaps the form BeforeUpdate. I normally use a custom button Click event to commit data.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by 00253 View Post
    In my form, user inputs some basic information into fields. Name, age, height, weight.
    Be aware that "Name" and "Height" are reserved words in Access and shouldn't be used as object names.
    Plus they are not very descriptive.
    "Name" of what?? Better would be "FName" or "F_Name" and "LName" or "L_Name".
    "Height" of what". Maybe ""PersonalHeight" or "SubjectHeight"...

Problem names and reserved words in Access
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

00253 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The form must be refreshed or requeried to remove the #DELETED.

VBA can save the lookup values. The real trick is figuring out what event to put the code into. Perhaps the form BeforeUpdate. I normally use a custom button Click event to commit data.
    Ok, this is probably what I need, VBA. Do I use a recordset? I've looked it up and most of the documentation seems pretty vague to me, but if that's why I need, I'll stick to it and make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Be aware that "Name" and "Height" are reserved words in Access and shouldn't be used as object names.
    Plus they are not very descriptive.
    "Name" of what?? Better would be "FName" or "F_Name" and "LName" or "L_Name".
    "Height" of what". Maybe ""PersonalHeight" or "SubjectHeight"...

Problem names and reserved words in Access
    http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html
    Thanks, these are correct and important suggestions for sure, but I've said it somewhere in the thread: this case is just an illustrative example. I'm using different names for completely different objects.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Recordset not needed. Code can be macro or VBA - I use only VBA. Can be as simple as:

Me!fieldname = Me.controlname

As I said, real trick is figuring out what event to use.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.