arbucklemw is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Find Record Button w/1 added field from a table

I have 4 forms currently setup:

The 1st two forms:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    frmCarrier - from tblCarriers - this is the top-tier parent table for the database
    frmCases Subform - from tblCases - the immediate child table of the above table

I have a search button that searched the fields in frmCarrier just fine. No issues here. DOT being the primary key field we would be searching on over anything else.

The 2nd two forms:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    frmCases2 - from tbl Cases (same as above) - ADDED 1 FIELD to this from from the top-tier parent tbleCarriers, the rest are directly from the tblCases
    frmCarrierRequests Subform - from tblCarrierRequests - the immediate child table of tblCases

I pulled in/added 1 field to my FrmUnfitCases from the top tier parent tblCarriers, which happens to be the top tier parent table's primary key.

I keep trying to add a search button on frmUnfitCases, and it will search the fields in frmUnfitCases just fine, but I can't get it to search the field I added from the top-tier parent table. This is my problem. I haven't done anything to the VBA, it's the basic find record VBA that's identical to the VBA of the initial Find Record button on my 1st set of forms.

I'd really like it to search the added field on the form, the DOT field from the top-tier parent table, but no matter what I do, it just doesn't want to do it. The search will search the fields from tblCases fine, but not the DOT field I added from the top-tier parent table.

I've tried every obvious option to me, and not familiar enough with VBA to write something that'd work, but I don't think this "should" be that hard/technical of a fix. I have the Access Bible book sitting in front of me and tried Googling to no avail.

Help, pretty please. Driving me nutz!!! I've quickly learned to fix a current problem before doing anything else to move forward steadily.

Thanks,
    Michael

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why is this necessary? Aren't the subform container Master/Child Links properties set?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

arbucklemw is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not at work now, but the tables/relationships are setup as, simplified with only the basic fields here.

Carrier table (Used in frmCarrier)
    -ingDot(pk)(relationship is setup with ingDot in Case table)
    -txtName

Case table (used in subform to above)
    -txtCase (pk)
    -ingDot (fk)

Then I have another form/subform:

Case table again (used for the primary form now)
    -txtCase (pk)
    -ingDot (fk)

Request table (used for subform)
    -a few fields here from this table for the form, but not trying to search these, so of no concern.

My problem is the Find Record button doesn’t search the ingDot field on the main form here.

Something I just thought of, though I don’t remember at the moment if I dragged the ingDOT from the Carrier table into the Case form in that 2nd form/subform combo. I’ll have a look at work Monday and try switching out where I’m pulling the ingDot into this form from, the Carrier table ingDot (pk) of the Case table ingDot (fk). Whichever I have setup now, I’ll change it to the other and see how it works.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.