Wheather Girl is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Cool Embedding Reports

Hi

I am currently doing reports for my place of work and need to be able to embed one report into the other, which I have done and have linked the child field and master fields properties.
    But what my problem is, is that now that my report is embedded into the main report, that because it has to be placed in the detail section of my main report, it is now not keeping each row in the recordset together in the “detail section” of the main report, as the subreport is now also in the detail section and breaking up my record set to one row, then displaying the subreport, then under that I get the second row of my recordset from the main report and then displays the subreport again under that. Hence is breaking up my recordset in the detail section of my main report. (mind u, that the subreport is displaying correctly and correlating to the correct fields from my main report as I have linked the child and master fields as previously said, so this is not a problem, just keeping all my rows from the recordset in the detail section together)

Is there a way to keep the each row in the recordset together, once the subreport is placed in the detail section (the subreport holds another header and detail section also)? OR is there a way a adding another ‘header and detail’ section under the ‘detail section’ in the main report without having to add a subreport?

I have tried setting the property box to “keep together” to yes which is the default setting anyway and this doesn’t seem to help.

Does anyone have any advice to overcome this problem?

thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    by putting the subreport into the detail - it is presuming there is subdata for each main data - - and thus breaking up your continuous rows of detail data...

the fact that you mention there being a parent/child relationship between these 2 sets of data implies that indeed there should be - and the layout that you don't like is correct.

you can put the subreport into the report footer - and it won't break up your detail section....but then it doesn't sound like any parent/child relationship is relevant (and it doesn't need this).

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry putting the subreport in the report footer, doesn't seem to work. it does keep my detail section together as said, but also puts the subreport at the end of my main report and i need the subreport to be linked the main report with child/parent relationship in order for it to pull the corresponding information from the subreport to main report and for the subreport details to be viewed directly under the detail section of the main report and for it to be kept together. Is this possible, hence i sugguested that maybe it might be easier to create another header and detail section in the main report itself without using the subreport...Is this possible as an option?

thanks

Windows XP Access 2007
    thanks for your input, it was a good idea

Windows XP Access 2007
    I have found a solution and works perfectly....

You need to add a grouping to the main report and then add a footer to that and insert the subreport into the group footer.
    You can delete the header and keep the footer by opening the sorting and grouping option box and de-selecting the group header.

And then just make sure you link the parent/child fields and it works like a gem.

This is all it took, but you need to be careful and make sure you group on the correct field...

Cheers

Windows XP Access 2007
    how do i mark this post as solved???

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows XP Access 2003

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.