Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    neuropsychresearch is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access includes navigation buttons automatically. You added the Command button yourself. What I don't get is how you make it such that one can only view an old record or add a new one - how do you eliminate the navigation button, then? how did you disable it?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    "setting the Navigation button property on the form to No" - post # 28

Windows 10 Access 2016

how to make rbans and other specific tests their own tab?

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    "setting the Navigation button property on the form to No" - post # 28

do you know if it's possible for me to add a button to add an EXAM within a vetid? because each veteran can havfe multiple exams. i can use the nav buttons within exam id, if not.

i didn't incorporate your cool afterupdate visual basic yet, i have to learn how to add that to the db first.
    thx
    stevesimple db how to add tabs for rbans and wais.zipsimple db how to add tabs for rbans and wais.zip
    Last edited by neuropsychresearch; 10-22-2017 at 02:23 PM.

You still haven't said why you need to user to be able to scroll thru the records one at a time. It makes no sense in this case. What is the first record, what is the last record? They will be displayed in a haphazard order so I fail to see how it can help the user. In fact, it seems that every time a person comes in for an exam you are adding a new record, regardless if that person has been there before or not (no identifying value for each person). So all you need is to be able to add new records to the demo table, no navigation buttons or find existing logic is needed.

Same with Exam - enter new demo, enter new exam - what else would the user want to do?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    sorry I have been seeing many clients, including children now. Incredibly busy. Let's hold off on the question about moving between records.

By far the most important question I have concerns the fundamentals of passing IDs. I saw your example db, which was very helpful. However, while I can see the solution, I don't know how you got to the solution. The most important structural question I have involves simply linking IDs in a tabbed format. I don't know if you have the patience or the time to do so, but could you please elaborate on how to set up a form in which Demo, Exam, and WAIS and RBANS could be set up each as their own tab?

I recall the general sequence you noted a few posts ago. But I still can't reproduce it. I've tried to follow your general instructions about 20 times and each time I result in a form that can't pass all of the IDs smoothly. One time I actually did it! And the resulting form worked like a charm. But I forgot to make the Demo table its own tab - such as was in the sample db I had sent you. Unfortunately and frustratingly, I apparently changed some little step in the process that I couldn't replicate.

If you have the inclination, could you please provide a bit more detail in how to pass IDs. Step by step. I can't figure out how to link Demo through Exam to specific tests. I must be doing something simple wrong. This is the bottleneck I'm still stuck in.

Ultimately, if I can understand how you construct the tabbed db for Demo, Exam, and RBANS and WAIS - then I can add additional tests at my leisure. I have about 50 tests to add besides RBANS and WAIS. But once I understsand the simple mechanics of how to pass IDs in a tabbed form, I can then repeat the process ad infinitum in my db. The rest of it - queries, reports, forms - should be relatively easy. But I don't want to move on until I firmly grasp the basics of passing IDs.

If this is too tedious for you (which it seems it likely is), do you know anyone who would be able to help me with this critical step of mine? Walk me through how to link these tables in a tabbed format?
    thank you,
    Steve

In this case, the ID's are passed thru the two LINK properties of the subform. So, create a form which will be the top of the hierarchy, the father of the structure. Next, create another form, this is to be next in line, a child of the father. Then, open the first/father form in design view, add the child form as a subform. If both forms are bound forms (they have a record source), then a wizard will appear in which you say - this field from the top form and this field from the subform are used to link the two forms. If either or both the forms are unbound (blank record source) then you will type in the two linked field names (one from the father and one from the child) saying how the data is linked. Such that when you have a record in the top form with a value of "1" then the subform will link to that and will show only the record(s) with a "1" in the matching/link field.

You can carry on doing this down thru the levels, picking one field from the "main" form/table and the matching field from the subform/table and putting them in the LINK properties. This is how ID's (or any field) is passed down the hierarchy.

First subform: DemoID master, DemoID(FK) child
    Second (third, etc): ExamID master, ExamID(FK) child

Your relationships window shows a visual representation of this (in the case of bound forms).

If you want to use a tabbed design on the form, add a tab control to the form (Design>select the Tab Ctrl icon). This will add a tab control with two pages. Click on the first page and drag your first subform onto it, then click on the second page and drag the second subform onto it. Go into form design and test it.

Clicking on the page will bring up its properties, change the name and any other properties. Right-clicking on the page will allow you to insert other pages.

To practice, create some very simple forms with only the fields to pass down, and concentrate only on getting that working before bothering about the rest (tab,etc). Add one subform at a time and get it working before moving on to the next.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    In this case, the ID's are passed thru the two LINK properties of the subform. So, create a form which will be the top of the hierarchy, the father of the structure. Next, create another form, this is to be next in line, a child of the father. Then, open the first/father form in design view, add the child form as a subform. If both forms are bound forms (they have a record source), then a wizard will appear in which you say - this field from the top form and this field from the subform are used to link the two forms. If either or both the forms are unbound (blank record source) then you will type in the two linked field names (one from the father and one from the child) saying how the data is linked. Such that when you have a record in the top form with a value of "1" then the subform will link to that and will show only the record(s) with a "1" in the matching/link field.

You can carry on doing this down thru the levels, picking one field from the "main" form/table and the matching field from the subform/table and putting them in the LINK properties. This is how ID's (or any field) is passed down the hierarchy.

First subform: DemoID master, DemoID(FK) child
    Second (third, etc): ExamID master, ExamID(FK) child

Your relationships window shows a visual representation of this (in the case of bound forms).

If you want to use a tabbed design on the form, add a tab control to the form (Design>select the Tab Ctrl icon). This will add a tab control with two pages. Click on the first page and drag your first subform onto it, then click on the second page and drag the second subform onto it. Go into form design and test it.

Clicking on the page will bring up its properties, change the name and any other properties. Right-clicking on the page will allow you to insert other pages.

To practice, create some very simple forms with only the fields to pass down, and concentrate only on getting that working before bothering about the rest (tab,etc). Add one subform at a time and get it working before moving on to the next.
    Ok atyee, I followed your steps closely and they worked. I am at the point where I can click through Demo and the corresponding Exams and their corresponding RBANS and WAISIV data are passed along. So far so good! I can easily create a tab form and drag Demo's fields onto it.

BUT the problem is this: how to add the Exam, then the RBANS and WAISIV fields too?

Each time I try to add Exam or Exam's subforms, the links between the IDs are broken and I can't click through. It must be something easy...

I've attached the db for you to glance through. What clicks do I need to add the other forms? I'm so close.

THe problem seems to be that when I drag (or cut) the fields from Exam (or RBANS or WAISIV), I have to place them into the tabbed box, which is OUTSIDE the Exam form itself. This very act seems to break the links.

Should I create the tabbed box INSIDE Exam's box? Or RBANS, etc?

--Update: Yes, the problem is how to take subform info from RBANS and WAISIV, ,which are part of the Exam form, and place them on their OWN tabs. This seems to break the link. I need to put the RBANS and WAISIV on their own tabs because utlimately there will be 5 or 6 tabs each with say 10 tests each on them.

So the question seems to be, how to take the particular form or subform (whatever the case may be) and place them EACH on their own tabs?

I hope this is clear.
    thanks

Thanks
    Steve
    simple db strong foundation (per aytee recs) v3.zipsimple db strong foundation (per aytee recs) v3.zipsimple db strong foundation (per aytee recs) v3.zip

Here's what I mean.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    ok, I totally follow you. I was hoping to put each table on its own tab though. So Demo on one, Exam on another tab, RBANS on another, and so on for all other neuropsych domains.

Is this possible? The way you've set it up, the tests are on tabs, but not Demo nor Exam.

thanks

Why would you want the demo and exam on a tab? Logically, a demo is entered, then an exam then all the tests for that exam, that is the order that records need to be added. With tabs, records are entered in no particular sequence which makes sense for the tests, but the table structure requires the top-down method.

There is no way to select an exam currently, that needs to be added in to the form design.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    the reason to have each table on its own tab is that there is so damn much to enter! We've been tinkering with microversions of the real thing. In reality, there's so much to enter, perhaps 500 data points per neuropsych exam - that i need to compress it in space.

If a tabbed format is no good - is there another way to enter all of these tests in a compressed way?

Having the tests on separate tabs makes sense, altho the user will have to click on each one. But the demo and exams need to be on their own forms. You can cut down the "noise" on each form by removing the ID's and record selectors and nav buttons, have a smaller font, etc.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    so i created a db that looks much closer to what i'll be ultimately using. Do you know how to get the tabs to not disappear when they are clicked on? The 2nd tab does that, you have to click on the margin to get the default view to reappear?

Otherwise, I appreciate the input.

I recall you used visual basic to cause various fields to appear only when clicked. I will be trying to use that to keep the display for data entry manageable...

Windows 10 Access 2016
    here see what the real deal will look closer to be... see how the field number rapidly grows...?simple db hallelujah fresh start.zip

The disappearing tabs syndrome is caused by tabbing - set all the subforms to tab stop = No.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.