AliceCampbell is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Moved access database to new server

I very much hope you can help:
    We have replaced our server and transferred all the files to a new server.
    Unfortunately I never had any information regarding your database which sits
    on the server in two folders Front End and Back End. The Access database in the folder called
    front end has been copied to every workstation. Now it cannot find a link to
    the back end.

All I know is that it was most probably created in Access 2007 but the workstations have
    different versions of Access. I am not even sure if Access Runtime was installed on some.

Could you please help to see how I can link the front end to the back end on the server?

Many thanks.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You'd start with what I'd call your development FE - the one that you kept to yourself as the basis upon which all new development was derived from when you issued updates. Re-link the tables in it and distribute copies of that as your new front end. If this fe is 2007 and you now have 2016 on your pc, AFAIK, it will attempt to save your 2007 version as 2016, which should be OK as long as no backwards incompatible features are involved. While it could be said that since nothing was changed that was only available in 2016 so it should be OK, problems can arise from insidious features that you may not be aware of. Database sort order is just one, perhaps. So I would only re-link as described, using the later version of Access, on a copy of your development file. Then see if users with 2007 can open it.

If anyone is missing RunTime, the solution is obvious - they need it or a full working version.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Thank you very much indeed but I am afraid that I am not an Access expert, so I would need more instructions if possible.
    I did open the backend database. And I tried to find the link manager (at least this is what I thought I was supposed
    to see), but the Link Manager button is greyed out, so I am at a loss. Would you need me to give you more information?
    Only I don't know what would be useful for you to know?

Linking is done from the front end not the back end. Probably grayed out because there are no links to manage. If your tables don't have small arrows pointing at them, they are not linked, which is what I'd expect to see in a back end. You need to start with a front end or a copy of one as mentioned.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I did open the front end but I could not see the ribbon with all the buttons as I did on the back end -
    I only saw the Home button and not much else as far as I can remember. Am I missing something?
    I'll check it tomorrow in the office again but I do hope to hear from you - I am a bit desperate.
    Last edited by AliceCampbell; 10-08-2017 at 09:43 PM.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    It sounds as tho you have a customized ribbon. You can:
    1) Hold down the shift key as you are opening the database, this should bypass any startup procedures and give you the ribbon
    2) Go to File > Options > Current database and remove the ribbon name
    3) There should be an original/development copy of the database, use that one to make the changes

Or a default form is set to open automatically and the nav pane is hidden. Either of those options can be over-ridden by clicking on the Office Button and choosing Access Options.

We managed to relink the tables. Many thanks for your help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.