Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ted C is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Locked for editing

I'm trying to make my database available to multiple users at once. I started by running the user-level security wizard, creating some groups, creating some users, and putting the users in groups.

I'm still finding that the two of us who mainly use the DB can't open it at the same time. Is it because one or both of us has Administrative rights? Or am I just looking in the wrong direction?

Is you database split?

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    aww cmon Blaster, you know the answer to that question.

Ted, run the database splitter (google for info) and your issues will be solved

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    This vb script will make your life so much easier:

http://www.dbforums.com/6274786-post19.html

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK, splitter ran, but it gave the "Subscript out of range" error, followed by an "Invalid procedure call or argument" error.

The _be file it created seems to have all the right tables, but the relationships didn't carry over. No queries, forms, reports, or macros carried over, either.

Can I just copy those things over and have it work? Or are they not supposed to come over?

Windows XP Access 2003
    I just tried splitting the db with Access 2007 (as opposed to 2003); also generates a "Subscript out of range" error, but with no follow-up message.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Finally imported all the objects from the DB into a new DB and split that one. Apparently things can become corrupted, preventing a successful split.

Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy

I'm terribly vexed.

I made created a database on my local drive, copied all the objects from the corrupt database into it, and successfully split it. I could open the Training.accdb file, and it would read data from the Training_be.accdb file.

So I copied both to the shared drive for colleagues to try to use the front end. Fail. When they try to open a form, they get an error. The path to the back-end is invalid, because it points to the back-end on my local drive.

So, I started over, creating the database on the shared drive, importing tables and objects, and splitting the database... all on the shared drive. They then copied the front end to their local drives to see if it could reach the back end.

Fail. The path still points to my local drive. Can anyone explain how I get the front end files to point to the back end file on the shared drive?

Windows XP Access 2003
    It appears that when I run the Split Database tool (in Access 2007), even though I opened the database from the shared drive, it still creates the back-end file in my local "My Documents" folder without asking me where it should go. Is there some setting I need to change to make it create the back-end on the shared drive?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Or maybe it does let me choose the location and I just overlooked it.

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK, multiple users can use the front-end files to open the database and view data. They can not, however, edit data as they should. I have no idea why.

Windows XP Access 2003
    do you have any other security features on it? that's the only thing i can think of that would cause this. by itself splitting a db should not cause the problem you are having.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    do you have any other security features on it? that's the only thing i can think of that would cause this. by itself splitting a db should not cause the problem you are having.
    The original database had security, but it didn't seem to be working. When I copied the database objects to a new .accdb file (the original is .mdb), I did not try to apply security.

Windows XP Access 2003

Angry

And when I'm the only one online, I can make edits. Is it still locking the database so that only one person can do edits at a time? That seems to defeat the purpose.

Windows XP Access 2003
    it shouldnt be doing that. I really dont know what else could be causing it but other user level security measures and you already said you got rid of those. I'm at a loss. hopefully someone else can help out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.