CodeLiftSleep is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Question Weird situation---VBA union SQL Query bringing back fewer records than Created Query Union Query

I'm not exactly sure what's happening or why it's occurring...

Background: I have 3 tables on SharePoint linked to the frontend of a Access solution I am building. I then run a Query to Union these tables together because I need to look at all of them as a group and the SQL queries to do this while they were 3 separate tables was getting a little out of hand.

I am currently running it in the Access open AutoExec Macro via VBA and it brings back 14,765 records. However, if I create a query for it and then run it, the same SQL brings back 15650 records or something around there(it's between 800-1000 records more).

Anyone know what might be happening here? Does the DoCmd.RunSQL have a limit to how many records it can bring back?

I'm assuming I can just build a query and have that run upon opening the same way, but I prefer the VBA solution. Any ideas? Do I need to do something special to run it as a created query or just called QueryDefs from VBA?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Could one be bringing UNIQUE values?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If the query is just a SELECT, why do you use RunSQL? RunSQL is to execute SQL actions (DELETE, UPDATE, INSERT). Just Open the query or use it in a report.

Why do you have 3 separate tables? Why not 1 table with another field for a category value?

Are you sure the two SQL statements are identical?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CodeLiftSleep is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    If the query is just a SELECT, why do you use RunSQL? RunSQL is to execute SQL actions (DELETE, UPDATE, INSERT). Just Open the query or use it in a report.

Why do you have 3 separate tables? Why not 1 table with another field for a category value?

Are you sure the two SQL statements are identical?
    I didn't design the SharePoint tables nor do I have the ability to change them. Apparently there are too many items to fit in one table.

Yes I'm sure, I copy and pasted it into the query designer and ran it.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    "too many items to fit in one table" - too many fields? Sounds like non-normalized data structure.

You copy/pasted the SQL from VBA?

Again, I don't understand using RunSQL for a SELECT query. Are you running an INSERT action?

Post your VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.