curvehunter is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

automate "Client Settings" and "Trusted Location" changes for users

Hi, I'm about to deploy a simple database to about 100 users. Each user has either their own workstation or a login to a remote server. The database will reside on a network share that each user has read/write permission to.

What I'd like to do is find a way to automate the setting changes I need to make to each user's Microsoft Access (2010) program. I like to avoid logging into each account or computer and going to Client Settings to uncheck "Record Changes", "Document Deletions" and "Action Queries" and then over to the Trust Center to add the network folder to Trusted Locations.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    if it could be automated, that would defeat the purpose of having the security measures to prevent hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    if it could be automated, that would defeat the purpose of having the security measures to prevent hacking.

Any thoughts on how to make this less of a nightmare?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    You can change Access options by using Application.SetOptions during the database open. Not sure about trusted location, altho the nice thing is they only have to do it once!

For instance:
    Code:
        Application.SetOption "Confirm Record Changes", False
        Application.SetOption "Confirm Document Deletions", False
        Application.SetOption "Confirm Action Queries", False
    The full list of options can be found here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba...m-visual-basic

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    You can change Access options by using Application.SetOptions during the database open. Not sure about trusted location, altho the nice thing is they only have to do it once!

For instance:
    Code:
        Application.SetOption "Confirm Record Changes", False
        Application.SetOption "Confirm Document Deletions", False
        Application.SetOption "Confirm Action Queries", False
    The full list of options can be found here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba...m-visual-basic
    That's helpful, thanks. Takes care of a bit part of my issue!
    I just need to find a way to sort out the Trusted Location situation.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by curvehunter View Post
    Hi, I'm about to deploy a simple database to about 100 users. Each user has either their own workstation or a login to a remote server. The database will reside on a network share that each user has read/write permission to.
    Alarm bells are going off!

If I understand correctly, you will have 1 database on the server and (up to 100) users will login to that dB?

You really should have the BE (just the tables) on the server and each user will have a copy of the FE (queries, forms, modules, reports) on their local computer.
    If you don't split the dB, you WILL corrupt your dB..... Not a matter of IF, just WHEN!!

And with 100 users, you might check into using SQL Server Express as the BE......

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Alarm bells are going off!

If I understand correctly, you will have 1 database on the server and (up to 100) users will login to that dB?

You really should have the BE (just the tables) on the server and each user will have a copy of the FE (queries, forms, modules, reports) on their local computer.
    If you don't split the dB, you WILL corrupt your dB..... Not a matter of IF, just WHEN!!

And with 100 users, you might check into using SQL Server Express as the BE......
    The dB is split- are you saying that I don't need to add the location of the BE to Trusted Locations for each user? That would make me happy.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Whew... split is good..

So there are 2 options:
    Best) Set up a trusted location. I created a folder under C:\ named "AccessdBs" that holds all dBs, with subfolders as necessary. A shortcut can be put on the desktop for ease of access to the FEs if necessary.

Not so good) Put the dB on the desktop or other non- trusted location. When you open the dB, you get a security message about "Active content is disabled". There is a button that enables content. Clicking on the Enable Content button creates a "trusted document".

See FILE/OPTIONS/Trust Center. Click on the button "Trust Center Settings". Click on "Trusted Documents". READ the warning.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.