pmregan is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Display images in reports

Can anyone get me started addressing this?

I'm trying to write a quick-and-dirty requirements management database. I have a table of requirements, and I created a column for images for those requirements which have an associated image. 99% of my records will not use this field.

Is there a way to generate a report such that my records with an image display differently than my records without an image?

I'm admittedly a bit new to Access and databases, so I'm unsure if this is truly a Reports question rather than a Table or Query question.

Thanks in advance for the help.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Welcome to the forum!

Are you actually storing an image in the database? In versions of Acces prior to 2007, storing images has a tendency to bloat the size of the database, so it is generally not recommended. In Access 2007, they have added a way to add attachments that is suppose to have much less impact on the database size (from what I have read).

What I have done is to just have a text field that holds the path to the image.

I'm not sure if you actually meant a report or a form. A report in Access is basically a print out of data whereas a form is used to display/enter/edit data. With a form, you have access to a variety of controls that you can use to distinguish records that have certain information. For example, you may have a button that shows up if there is a path in the text field and does not display if the field has no data.

pmregan is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the reply and the welcome, jzwp11.

To be more specific as to what I am trying to accomplish: I have a list of requirements (records) that, eventually, I want to spit out into a Word document (report) to deliver to my customers and suppliers. I'm using Access to track changes to the requirements as I work through them, as well as to verify compliance to each requirement.

I'm stuck, though, as to how I should handle requirements that are represented graphically when I generate a report - specifically, how to mix in a graphical requirement within a list of textual requirements. So, I think my question essentially becomes: is there a way to create a report that formats the records it will display based on the contents of that record (i.e. whether it has a graphic associated with it or not)?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I've never done what you describe in an Access report. I don't know it is even possible. It may be possible using Access to Word automation (Visual Basic for Application (VBA) code), but I have not done the insertion of images into a word document. I have done the insertion of text from Access using the bookmark approach.

Do you have your table structure set up yet? The table structure is key to any successful relational database application, so that should be your first priority. (any table structure can be translated into other relational databases if you find that Access cannot do what you want).

cowboy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Sure, if you use something like:
    Code:
    If IsNull(Me!txtPicture) Then
      *Code*
    else
      *Code*
    end if
    where txtPicture is the name of the link to the image you are using.

There are several ways to set this scenario up, it depends on how you are storing your picture, is it linked or embedding? What do you want to do format wise if the picture is there or is not there?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.