Dave E is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Unable to open accdb file, error "Object is invalid or no longer set. (Error 3420)"

Access 2013 32-bit, running on Windows 7 (via VMWare on mac). Can't open stand-alone database, getting "Object is invalid or no longer set." dialog. Have attempted to compact and repair from Access, decompile from 'Run', and import objects to a blank DB -- and get same error in all cases. I do have the most recent (jan. 2017) microsoft update installed. Other Access files open. I have network server backup (from a few hours earlier than the un-openable version) so all is not lost, but am curious if anyone has any ideas on how to avoid this in future and if there is a method for recovering the file. A pretty complex form opens when the db file open (contains multiple linked subforms, tab controls, command buttons) and the database compacts on close

Thanks,

Dave

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Try holding down the Shift key when opening the database, and examine the code behind the form that opens. Try opening the form. If you get the error, do you get a debug option? If not, try commenting out the "On Error..." line in the code and then run it.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Dave E is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    Thanks for your reply, Paul. Holding shift isn't allowing me to see the code. The DB doesn't open at all. When I said that a form opens with the application, I meant that it did back when the file would actually open. I can't get into the file to debug or modify anything. I tried restoring to the most recent server backup and then re-enabling the file in 'options', but that didn't work. The prior backup from that same day is ok, so I can proceed form a copy of that (fortunately without too much lost work).

I wonder if this incident might have something to do with new Sharepoint version being installed on our network? The timing is coincident. I am not currently using Sharepoint for back end, but I briefly experimented with that, and one of the tables still had those fields that Sharepoint adds. I think that we were told that our new Sharepoint regime does not support linking to Access.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it sounds like your vb modules have become corrupted (lost references) so probably better to revert to backup.

The only other thing I can suggest and only worthwhile doing if there are changes to the code since your last backup that you need to recover and I have no idea if it will work, is to open a new db, go to the vba editor Tools>references. Then click on browse, change file type to .accdb, navigate to your problem file and see if you can add as a reference.

If it does link, copy and paste each module into the new db. Note you will not be able to save any changes you might make to the 'library' file.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.