AGoodman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Purchasing Database

Good morning all! I am somewhat new to Access (or at the very least not that great at it) and I'm trying to create a database to track our purchases as well as print out 2 different forms that are required by my employer for submission. Ideally I would enter the information once and be able to print out the two forms all from the same page. I'm just not sure if I should be creating a form strictly for data entry and then 2 other forms for printing or if the printable forms should be done in Reports instead?

I have 2 tables created...one for all of my header information (Order #, Vendor, Date, Accounting Information, etc) and one for my line items. Then I began creating my form with all of my header info in the main form and my line items in a subform that is linked by Order #. But not I'm not sure how to have the order total on the main form when all of my items are in the subform. I also would like the order total to be part of the information that is retained in the table.

I feel like some sort of query would be appropriate but am not really familiar with how to create a filter upon loading the form so I don't have to go deep into the query formula every time I want to find a record.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am not familiar with VBA so that's not really an option

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    although forms can be printed they have limited capabilities in terms of presentation - for example it will have to be sized to print on your paper, which may not suit your screen, there are likely to be controls you don't want to print (such as buttons) which will require additional code to hide before printing, the layout for printing may not be an ideal layout for input, etc . The normal thing to print is a report.

So as minimum I suggest one form and two reports - you can have code to click two reports at the click on one button.

Preston is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    To answer your question about the order total on the main form summing the line items on the subform, you reference the subform object in your main form sum formula. Or, to Ajax's point, you reference the subreport object

http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0031.htm

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.