clueless528 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Create total text box from text boxes populated by drop down on form

Hello,

I am a Access noob and I need help. I have a project where I need to sum totals from multiple text boxes that are populated from a combo box drop down menu on a form. I’m creating certificates after our conference where I’m choosing from the list of sessions for each attendee, I need the credit for those sessions to total.

I’ve tried the following formulas in the Control Source area of the total text box but I cannot get anything to work. I've also attached pictures for reference.

=[Text82]+[Text88] This concatenates
    =Sum([Text82])+Sum([Text88]) Gives an Error Message
    =DSum("Text82","[Text88]") ERROR
    =Sum(nz([Forms]![subCalendar]![Text1]))+(nz([Forms]![subCalendar]![Text25])) ERROR
    =Sum((Val([Text82]))+(Val([Textbox88]))+(Val([textbox92]))) ERROR
    =Sum([column1])+Sum([column2])+Sum([column3]) ERROR
    =Sum([Text82]+[Text88]+[Text92]) ERROR

Any help would be much appreciated…..I have a second issue of wanting to total the different fields of study at the end as well but I’ll take what I can get!

Thanks!

Olivia
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access help shot.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	29286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access help 2.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	29287

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Can't reference control names in aggregate functions, only field names. Since you show UNBOUND controls, I am guessing the form is also UNBOUND which means there is no RecordSource and no fields available for reference.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for your response. Hmmm okay. Honestly, I have no idea what UNBOUND or any of that really means. We use separate database software for everything else so I know nothing about Access....it's just for this one project...which is very frustrating because it doesn't sound like it's going to be able to do what I need. So a field name would be back in my table, right? But if they're different amounts I'm updating in the form, how does that work?

I have three tables, one for attendees, one for sessions and a junction table. The combo boxes are populated from those tables. Then, I'm planning on filling out the form for each attendee and exporting the PDF. I guess I will have to do the calculations manually and put them in text boxes, unless you have another solution?

June7 is offline VIP
    Use conventional BOUND form design for data entry. Use report for data output to PDF. Do calcs in the report.

Study an introductory tutorial for Access.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

What's the difference between an unbound and bound? How do I create a bound form design?

I am trying to create a report but it doesn't seam to let me use the drop down function.....which I really need to create a certificate(report) for each individual attendee. Is there anyway to use my already created form and turn it into a report?

I have taken an intro and intermediate class but clearly I have a long way to go.....although it seams to be a mute point as I am only using access for a single project of about 300 certificates.....

June7 is offline VIP
    A bound form or report has a RecordSource referencing a table or query or SQL statement, and bound controls have ControlSource referencing a field from the RecordSource. Data entered/edited into bound controls on form pass directly into the table.

Controls can also have expressions in ControlSource (such as: =[Price] * [Quantity]) but this calculated data will not pass into table.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...f-b6a83a1fa3ae

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.