wtucker is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Question If field is not null, check if other field is null - Please help me write this out

Hey everyone,

I've got a question on SQL. I'm a novice and it's too complicated for me to do on my own.

I have a form with multiple fields and records (it's in datasheet view). Records are approved by entering a date in the [Approved] field. But I want to make sure users also fill in another field, [Number]. Sometimes it already has a value, but usually it's blank.

So the logic would work as follows:

for each record,
    if [approved] is not null,
    check [number]

if [number] is null,
    msgbox "Please ensure that each approved record has a proper number associated with it."

else go to next record.

I realize this isn't crystal clear, and I'm hoping someone can help me put it together, or perhaps find an easier way to make this work.

Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Advise naming controls different from fields, such as tbxApproved and tbxNum.

A record is committed to table when 1. close table/query/form or 2. move to another record or 3. run code to save. How do you want to commit record? Do you have a custom button set up to close form or save record?

The real trick is figuring out what event to put code into. The form BeforeUpdate event might be appropriate for your situation. Fairly common topic. Search web or forum.

Number is a reserved word. Should avoid reserved words as names.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

wtucker is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    I've changed [number] to [group number] so it's a little less confusing.
    There's no button to save. Records are committed when the form is closed.
    I'll look into the BeforeUpdate event, but it sounds like it will work the same as OnClose.
    I've also tried a message box. I could live with the user selecting ok/cancel every time just as a reminder to check. But so far in my attempts, when the user hits cancel, it still closes the form. If I can figure out how to prevent that, I'll be happy.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    No, BeforeUpdate does not work quite same as OnClose. Post your OnClose code. Then there's the form UnLoad event. Unfortunately, doesn't trigger if navigate to another record.

Advise no spaces or punctuation/special characters (underscore only exception) in names.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.