zen13 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Convert format from mdb(Access 97) to accdb(Access 2016)

Hi all,

I was given a database with mdb file format which can't be open in Access 2016.

I saw some guide online which requires the older version such as access 2010/2007 to convert the file.

Is there any other way to convert it?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    97 stopped being support with the 2013 release so you need to upgrade 97 to 2000 or no later than 2010 (ideally to 2010). I think 2000 will continue to be supported until the next release

If the db does not contain confidential information then I can upgrade it to 2010 for you - zip and post the .mdb to this thread

some 97 features do not work in 2007 and later so you may have some coding changes to make

zen13 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    97 stopped being support with the 2013 release so you need to upgrade 97 to 2000 or no later than 2010 (ideally to 2010). I think 2000 will continue to be supported until the next release

If the db does not contain confidential information then I can upgrade it to 2010 for you - zip and post the .mdb to this thread

some 97 features do not work in 2007 and later so you may have some coding changes to make
    Hi Ajax! Thanks for the information. Sadly, it's a confidential database

Here is what MS says on the issue

Convert an Access 97 database to the .accdb format

Use the following procedure to convert an Access 97 database (.mdb) to the new file format (.accdb).

1. In Access 2010, on the File tab, click Open.
    2. In the Open dialog box, select and open the Access 97 (.mdb) database that you want to convert.
    3. In the Database Enhancement dialog box, click Yes.

Access creates a copy of the database in the .accdb file format and automatically closes the original database.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    In that case, you'll have to get someone you trust who has an appropriate version of access.

Craddock01 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    I have a very similar problem but (I would assume) on a much larger scale. We have an Access 97 database that was designed by the wife of an employee and it has grown over the last 20+ years into a rather large, complex database. It basically is the MRP/ERP for our company.

Disclaimer - I know VERY little about Access and its inner workings. I just know I have a problem brewing and it is getting worse by the day. I know the longer I wait the more of an issue this will become.

This was not written in code - it is all macros. We now have newer computers (Windows 10 Pro with MS Access Pro Plus 2010 64 bit) that will not run Office 97 so we're forced into using Remote Desktop to access our old computers running XP in order to use the database - it's so archaic. I'm trying to find someone who can convert the database (even remotely) but the problem comes when we attempt to "go live" with the newly converted/migrated database. If it doesn't work or if we have bugs that have to be worked out (which undoubtedly we will) we can't spend months attempting to work out the kinks (especially remotely). The other issue is there is sensitive data within the database (HR data) that I can't just open up to anyone.

I am considering switching to a dedicated ERP or MRP but we are a small company. I was thinking about taking this in steps (convert the current database to a newer version of Access to buy some time and eventually consider MRP). Certainly there is someone, some entity out there that has built a company out of doing this kind of work right? Does anyone have any encouraging ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.