Results 1 to 6 of 6

Cloud or web access to small Access 2010 database

  1. #1
    vanthien is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21

    Cloud or web access to small Access 2010 database

    Hello,

    I've just built a small bookkeeping database (in Access 2010) for my local community choir. The database is basically just a one-man (Treasurer) operation, although occasionally other board members may want to get at it as well. My initial idea was to create an .ACCDE file, and copy it to the treasurers pc, but I can't be sure that the data will be safe, backed up, etc.



    What options do I have to make this db available online? I understand Sharepoint is a preferred platform, but I don't believe that is an option for us. Or is it?

    Any ideas are welcome. Thanks,
    Frank :-)

  2. #2
    HiTechCoach's Avatar
    HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    699
    Frank,

    The short answer is that is is not easily done with Access.

    Access is a Desktop and LAN application. It does not play well with the Cloud or WAN.

    I have been running multi-user Access application over the internet since 2000 using Terminal Services or Citrix.

    It is also possible to use a cloud hosted SQL server as the backend. You would use Access as the front end to connect to the remote SQL Server.

    See:
    Remote access for an Access Application

  3. #3
    vanthien is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Frank,

    The short answer is that is is not easily done with Access.
    Thanks Coach. I probably expected this answer. I think I'll go with a Dropbox setup, where I share the folder with the Treasurer. That way it'll be included in my own backups.

    Ciao,
    Frank :-)

  4. #4
    HiTechCoach's Avatar
    HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by vanthien View Post
    Thanks Coach. I probably expected this answer. I think I'll go with a Dropbox setup, where I share the folder with the Treasurer. That way it'll be included in my own backups.

    Ciao,
    Frank :-)
    Frank,

    Be very careful with Dropbox.

    I have heard this horror story from multiple people:
    If two people open the database at the same time, the last person to close will overwrite any changes the other person made. Even is the last person to close made no changes.

  5. #5
    vanthien is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTechCoach View Post
    Be very careful with Dropbox.
    I have heard this horror story from multiple people:
    If two people open the database at the same time, the last person to close will overwrite any changes the other person made. Even is the last person to close made no changes.
    Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up.
    It still seems like the best approach, especially since it'll be just one user, 99% of the time.
    Frank :-)

  6. #6
    HiTechCoach's Avatar
    HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by vanthien View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up.
    It still seems like the best approach, especially since it'll be just one user, 99% of the time.
    Frank :-)
    In bookkeeping it is critical to keep the data safe. It is that 1% that will bite you and the data becomes unreliable.

    Data can be over written and you will never know it. Then months later a financial report is run. You think is is accurate but it is not.

    I stress this since this is a bookkeeping application.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2016, 06:42 AM
  2. Access backend in the cloud - am I dreaming?
    By Gina Maylone in forum Access
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2016, 09:22 PM
  3. Cloud based Access?
    By Perceptus in forum Access
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2015, 05:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 12:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Tech Forums: Microsoft Office Forums