oldlearner is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How do I prevent a calculated field from running until I insert the second part of the equation?

I have a basic calculation "weight loss" from 2 other fields - ("start weight" minus "end weight"). I do not want to insert the end weight until 10 weeks after the start weight. What is the best way of preventing the calculation from executing until I insert the end weight. Any help appreciated

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    You can't, using a simple expression in the calculated control. But you can control what it displays in the absence of the second value. Post your expression and what you want it to show when there is no second value.
    edit:
    I presumed this was being done on a form and not in a table.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Micron Thanks for your comment. I set it up in a table and placed into a form. It is a very basic calculation but I want the result to show as 0 (zero) until I input the second value. Thanks for you time.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Try:

=IIf(IsNull([End Weight]), 0, [Start Weight] - [End Weight])
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi June unable to get this to work (not sure if I am putting the expression in the correct place). If I can reword the problem
    Field 1 is [start weight], Field 2 is [End weight] Field 3 [weight loss] is a calculated field [Start Weight] - [End weight]. when I insert value in the start weight it automatically drops into the result. I want the weight loss result to be 0 (zero) unless the end weight is entered.

The expression can go into the calculated control itself, or you can enter it into the control source property on the property sheet. The suggestion is what I had in mind; I was hoping to get your names without guessing, which is why I asked. However, the suggestion works exactly as typed. If you can't get it to work by placing it as suggested, post back with more explicit details about what you're doing and what the results are.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CalcControl.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	28497
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

June7 is offline VIP
    [Weight Loss] still shows the [Start Weight] before you enter [End Weight]? Then [End Weight] must not be null, there must be a value already there, such as empty string or 0. I assume the fields are number type so can't be an empty string. Do you have 0 as default value?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for your replies. You are correct June7. These are number fields and the defaults are set to 0. I have been made aware that it may not be a good idea to use the calculated field in the table so have used it in a query. This seems to achieve what I wanted to achieve but it would be good to know if it is possible to achieve in the table. Many thanks for your time.

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't see why couldn't do in table. Just remove the 0 from DefaultValue property and any existing records.

The only real negative I am aware of for use of Calculated field is backwards compatibility. I haven't incorporated in any db, only tested, but never encountered an issue with them.

The only real negative I am aware of for use of Calculated field is backwards compatibility.
    Enough negatives here to convince me to not use them.
    http://allenbrowne.com/casu-14.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.