MFriend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

How to Filter When Using The "Create E-Mail" Wizard

Hi:

I wasn't sure if this question should go in the import/export section or the programming section.... Here is my issue or what I want to do:

I want be able to filter the data in a table then run the "Create E-Mail" wizard (under: External Data > Create E-Mail) and have ONLY the results from the filtered table be used by the Outlook Wizard..

I can filter the data as I want. The problem though is that when I then run the "Create E-mail" wizard, all of the data from the table is selected (not just what I filtered).

The end users will have a list of several hundred emails within a table. The User needs to be able to filter the data and then have the resulting email addresses (and associated user info), be imported into the Outlook Wizard.

I know it is possible to create 'views' (using Oracle as the backend) and tie specific buttons to specific 'views'... but there are so many possible filter combinations that would result in a lot of buttons!

>> I am able to use Macros to 1. Open the table 2. Filter the Table, and 3. Launch the Outlook Wizard task ('CollectDataViaEmail'), but the whole table gets imported into the Outllook task.

I tried to find more information on the individual Macro's but was only able to find basic info. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I would suggest creating a query that does the filtering and then reference the query rather than the table in the macro.

MFriend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi JZWP11:

I had considered that (either a query, or since I am using linked tables, a 'view' on the backend). The problem is that the end user needs to be able to filter by two different columns (one has x3 posibilities, the other is a different category that may have a couple dozen possibilities). It would look really clunky if I put 2 or 3 dozen buttons (each tied to a view) on the form.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    You can use either a list box or combo box to present the choices to your user. You would then use the choices to dynamically construct the query in code (a macro won't be able to handle that part). You can use a multiselect list box if you want your users to have the ability to make multiple selections within a "column". You can then probably invoke the e-mail wizard from within the code (I'm not familiar with that part, so we would have to rely on someone who has used it)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.