PATRICKPBME is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Does creating a form also create a query?

I have created a form and a report in design view by dragging fields from a table where I needed them. Works fine but I would like to add criteria before a report opens so it goes only to a specific report. I know when I have created a form based upon a query result I just went in and modified the query with the criteria. If a query was created when I made this form, where do I find it? Thank you.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    No, creating a Form does not create a new Query. If you based it on the Table, then it is linked directly to the Table.
    However, you can create a new query that has all the fields, calculations, and criteria you want.
    Then you can open up the Form/Report that you have already created, bring up the properties, and change the Record Source from the Table to the Query you just created.

Note I usually find it best to create the Query first, and then use that to build my Forms & Reports. As matter as fact, even if I don't have any criteria or calculations, I often will still create a Query and base the Form/Report upon that Query. It makes it very easy to add calculations or criteria down the road.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    In addition to Joe's thoughts, you can use this to open a form/report with criteria:

BaldyWeb wherecondition

As a side note, if you create a form/report with SQL as the record source (as opposed to a table), it does create a hidden query. In other words, if the record source is "SELECT..." a hidden query is created and saved.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Thank you very much. Afraid that was the case but I will see if I can apply your solution. Going forward, I will always use the query first approach!

Thanks! I will look into that in a little more depth when I maybe move out of the "beginner" stage!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.