synses is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How to learn quickly to do it right...

I have to build a database now for my sister, and need (obviously-cause I keep trying and not doing it correctly for a few weeks now) to learn quickly how to do it.

Do you have a suggestion for the best way to learn fast for a fast learner who needs to start at the beginning but has already read a few "How to" books and obviously still does not see how to build a database with these elements:

1. The Vending Company staff members, (about 20) (this is my sister's place of employment)
    2. The Vending Company staff members connected to their roles (4: PM, Inside sales, outside sales, engineers, and contact information assigned to the different clients and different client facilities (multiple company staff/roles assigned to client and/or facility)
    3. The Client Companies/Org's (contact info) about 600 of them (some private companies, some government)
    4. The Client Companies/Orgs' facilities - name and location (some client companies/orgs have only one location, some have main offices and facilities, of those with different locations, some have key staff unique to each facility, some have one set of purchasing/engineer staff for all facilities)
    5. The client companies' staff members (2 to 6 for each company) and contact info including two phone numbers and an e-mail address
    6. The client companies' staff members' roles (4: buyers, engineers, procurement managers, QAs) and their contact information (usually several per client and client facility, someitmes same for client and facility, sometimes unique groups for each facility)
    7, A lessons learned long text field for passing along lessons learned for each client and or client facility

It will be used by people in the vending company to

1. Look up people in the vending company and in the client companies (salespersons, buyers, PMs, QAs, engineers, etc.) and how to contact them for each client/facility, as in ...
    Record, store, and retrieve all the contact info for all staff related to certain clients and client facilities (in house and client staff, main offices and facilities)
    (such as "I need a quick way to see all the buyers for Client A and all the phone numbers to reach them" or "I need to quickly see which in house engineer handles that client" or "I need a quick way to get the names and e-mails for all the in house salespeople and client buyers for Client A" or "I need to see and print out all the clients and fcailities that salesperson A handles" ...."I need all buyers in Canada and their contact info/client company name" these might be quick looks or for printouts...
    3. Record, store, and retrieve all lessons learned for one certain client or groups of clients...or all lessons learned.....for quick review...and for training handouts..

I am not being paid. I offered to do it for my sister because she needs it, was "assigned" it as an "extra curricular PD endeavor"...but has no time to learn to do it, works 70 hours a week just trying to hold onto her job till retirement (I am already retired) and I owe her big time and I thought I could do it.

(she seriously gave up her life years ago to move interstate and take two jobs to support me and nurse me back from a near death crash and paralysis)

Any help appreciated.
    Synthia

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Have you looked at all of the Templates available for Access? There has to be something that is close and can then be modified to your liking. Google knows where those templates are located.

synses is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks, looking now and reviewing MS ACCESS training on MS Office help site.
    Confusing becasue MS Access training suggests using look up and relationships, while others here have mocked the concept of using "look ups" ...so I will learn and see for myself I guess.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You might find that watching these free video tutorials by Dr.Daniel Soper will help with the concepts.

Intro to Database
    The Relational Model
    Data Modelling and the ER Model

My recommendation is don't jump into physical Access without some appreciation of Database concepts.

Good luck.

WesHarding is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    We were all in your shoes at one point. Like orange said, it is better to understand the concept of a database, then create. When I was first learning I jumped into making one, and wound up with a lot of poorly designed tables, queries and relationships that eventually had to all be scrapped.

Take time. Watch some youtube videos, use a template, and if you have questions always feel welcome to ask on this site. It has easily been my best resource for support and help.

A couple of additional links

Learning database design is best done by working through a clear tutorial.
    Here are 2 such tutorials from Rogers Access Library.
    Each tutorial about 45 -60 minutes in length.You have to work through them, but you will learn.

Entity Relationship diagramming
    Class Info system

If you want to know more about Access Vba , then the series by Steve Bishop starting here is great.

If you're really a really, really fast learner, then Google youtube Relational Database by Dr. Jennifer Widom

Good luck.

synses is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Thank you!!

Great resources!! Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    a couple of additional links

learning database design is best done by working through a clear tutorial.
    Here are 2 such tutorials from rogers access library.
    Each tutorial about 45 -60 minutes in length.you have to work through them, but you will learn.

entity relationship diagramming
    class info system

if you want to know more about access vba , then the series by steve bishop starting here is great.

if you're really a really, really fast learner, then google youtube relational database by dr. Jennifer widom

good luck.

synses is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you so much!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.