Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ceichhorn is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Combo Box will not allow selection to be made

Hi all! Odd problem here, I assume I'm missing something obvious.

I have a combo box that seems like it should be straightforward: just a gender choice combo box. The row source is pulled from a tblGender table, and I want the selection to control a field in a different table (in this case tblconsumers). The rows populate correctly, but the combo box will not let me actually make a selection. I've checked to make sure that the control source is labeled correctly, and it is; I have rebuilt the combo box as well to see if there was just some setting wrong, and the new combo boxes present with the same symptom -- rows populate correctly (Male/Female/Unspecified), but I am unable to actually make a selection to populate the control source.

Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks in advance!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    It sounds like the Control Source is *not* update-able.

Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    It sounds like the Control Source is *not* update-able.
    Thanks for the reply RuralGuy -- can you tell me how to make it update-able? The combo box is listed as Enabled and not Locked.

The ComboBox (cbo) is bound to a field in the RecordSource of the form. It is probably this field that is not update-able. If it is a query then open that query directly and see if you can change that field.

The ComboBox (cbo) is bound to a field in the RecordSource of the form. It is probably this field that is not update-able. If it is a query then open that query directly and see if you can change that field.
    RuralGuy,

I went to the table (it is a table in this case) that is the control source for the form and updated the fields manually. It did allow me to update those fields - in the sense that I could put a number in the field for any given record and save it without issue -- but the data saved in those fields did not populate when I went back to the form.

Hmm...What is the Field Type? Is it a text field? What is the field type of the tblGender table? Did you use the wizard to create the cbo? More questions in a bit.

Hmm...What is the Field Type? Is it a text field? What is the field type of the tblGender table? Did you use the wizard to create the cbo? More questions in a bit.
    Rural,

The control source of the combo box (again, in this case, lngGenderID in tblConsumers) is a long integer type, as is the lngGenderID field in tblGender. Those seem to match up. I tried to build the combo box from scratch and also using the wizard. I also copy/pasted a combo box which is working, swapped out the row/control sources to Gender, and again got the same result.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    If, by "the combo box will not let me actually make a selection," you mean that when you click on a selection nothing happens, it's probably related to one of the Form's properties.

The Access Gnomes, in their infinite wisdom, look at the act of using of a Combobox as a form of Editing a Record; hence if AllowEdits is set to No/False, they cannot be used!

FYI, if you need to

• Use a Combobox
    • Not allow editing of Records

the workaround is to

Set AllowEdits to Yes/True and Lock or Lock and Disable all of the Controls on the Form.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

MissingLinq,

This property is distinct from "Allow Value List Edits," or are they the same? If they are different, then where in the property sheet is "AllowEdits" listed? I know I can set "Allow Edits" at the form level, and that is set to true/yes, and other combo boxes on the form are working correctly -- just not these two! Both non-functioning combo boxes are listed as Enabled-Yes and Locked-No.

New update: the fields which are the control sources for these combo boxes are not indexed in the table from which they originate. Is that a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceichhorn View Post
    New update: the fields which are the control sources for these combo boxes are not indexed in the table from which they originate. Is that a problem?
    That should not be a problem. What are the values of the cbo properties:
    Row Source:
    Row Source Type:
    Bound Column:
    Column Count:

That should not be a problem. What are the values of the cbo properties:
    Row Source:
    Row Source Type:
    Bound Column:
    Column Count:
    Thanks again for the help RuralGuy.

Row Source: SELECT tblGender.lngGenderID, tblGender.strGender FROM tblGender ORDER BY tblGender.strGender;
    Row Source Type: Table/Query
    Bound Column: 1
    Column Count: 2

Try setting your Bound Column to 0 instead of 1.

Based on your Row Source, the Bound Column should be 1 as you had it but I was just trying to see if we could change the symptom at all.

RuralGuy,

I found the issue! I had looked to see if the combo boxes were handled via program in VBA, and they were not, as no combo boxes were referenced explicitly in the code and all of them had control sources bound explicitly; however, what I did not notice is that a portion of the code on load called qryConsumers, rather than tblConsumers, as its source, and this query did not have those fields added to it. Once I added lngGenderID to qryConsumers, the issue went away. I didn't look at the code closely enough (I didn't write it in the first place). Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.