NightWalker is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Trying to get highest number in a field (LoadTested) for todays date.

I have this in the criteria box under the LoadTested field but it is only giving me the highest TestedDate which is another field.

Code:
    =DMax("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate]=" & Date())
    Could someone help me figure out why it is not giving me the proper output.
    Here is the entire SQL

Code:
    SELECT tbl_343sTested.FixturePosition, tbl_343sTested.SerialNumber, tbl_343sTested.TestedDate, tbl_343sTested.Technician, tbl_343sTested.TankTestedIn, tbl_343sTested.LoadTested, tbl_343sTested.PreReading, tbl_343sTested.HighReading, tbl_343sTested.PostReading, tbl_343sTested.Recheck, tbl_343sTested.PassFail, tbl_343sTested.Tr343Id, tbl_343sTested.MeggerID, tbl_343sTested.PressureIndID, tbl_343sTested.Comment
    FROM tbl_343sTested
    WHERE (((tbl_343sTested.LoadTested)=DMax("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate]=" & Date())));

Thank you
    Walker

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    A bit confusing. If you have that expression as the textbox source, what does the sql statement have to do with it? Or is the entire sql the textbox source?
    By "criteria box" do you mean the row source for a textbox? Or it's record source, or neither?
    I do not know why you would get a TestedDate value when you are asking for LoadTested with
    Code:
    =DMax("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate]=" & Date()
    You should be getting the max LoadTested value from the table where TestedDate = Date(). If there are several date values that are equal to Date(), I'm pretty sure you'll get the first record using DMax. Maybe that's what you mean? If so, I think Date() may not be a suitable criteria, or TestedDate may prove to be inadequate as a field to search on.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-07-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: additional info
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I think the construction of the DMax criteria is a little off.
    Whether using the DMax as a control's control source or part of a WHERE clause, I would use
    Code:
    =DMax("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate]= #" & Date() & "#")
    Dates must be delimited with the hash marks....

At first I thought "Good catch". Then thought should we have to delimit the date when it's returned by a function? Turns out the problem is the quotes. In the immediate window, this works ?DMax("RequestDate","RequestT","RequestDate < Date()")
    but not this form
    "[TestedDate]=" & Date()
    We're forgetting that the entire parameter has to be within quotes.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-07-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

If you use the query designer, This should work:
    Code:
    SELECT tbl_343sTested.FixturePosition, tbl_343sTested.SerialNumber, tbl_343sTested.TestedDate, tbl_343sTested.Technician, tbl_343sTested.TankTestedIn, tbl_343sTested.LoadTested, tbl_343sTested.PreReading, tbl_343sTested.HighReading, tbl_343sTested.PostReading, tbl_343sTested.Recheck, tbl_343sTested.PassFail, tbl_343sTested.Tr343Id, tbl_343sTested.MeggerID, tbl_343sTested.PressureIndID, tbl_343sTested.Comment
    FROM tbl_343sTested
    WHERE tbl_343sTested.LoadTested = DMax("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate] = #" & Date() & "#");

If it is in VBA, then it should still work:
    Code:
        sSQL = "SELECT tbl_343sTested.FixturePosition, tbl_343sTested.SerialNumber, tbl_343sTested.TestedDate, tbl_343sTested.Technician,"
        sSQL = sSQL & " tbl_343sTested.TankTestedIn, tbl_343sTested.LoadTested, tbl_343sTested.PreReading, tbl_343sTested.HighReading,"
        sSQL = sSQL & " tbl_343sTested.PostReading, tbl_343sTested.Recheck, tbl_343sTested.PassFail, tbl_343sTested.Tr343Id,"
        sSQL = sSQL & " tbl_343sTested.MeggerID, tbl_343sTested.PressureIndID, tbl_343sTested.Comment"
        sSQL = sSQL & " FROM tbl_343sTested"
        sSQL = sSQL & " WHERE tbl_343sTested.LoadTested = " & DMax("LoadTested", "tbl_343sTested", "[TestedDate] = #" & Date & "#") & ";"
    What am I missing?

Sorry for the confusion. I will try to explain a little more. I have an input form that currently stores all the information on the form upon a button click event. the problem I am having is getting the information back into the form to view or reprint the report. There are 9 records for each Load tested. like yesterday there were 3 loads tested (1,2,&3) each load has 9 records. the problem I am having is getting the query to retrieve only the 9 records from the most recent load tested. Is there any other code that would help figure this out for you all to see.

What am I missing?
    All I'm saying is that it works if you place the ending quote that was missing from the first post
    ("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate]=" & Date())
    because Date() returns the date data type. You don't have to delimit Date() if it's written the way I put it. Using the OP's values and not mine, it would be:
    ("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate]=" & Date()")
    Your way works too.

Nigthwalker: start with a copy of your query but omit the WHERE part. If it returns records, we can eliminate the base query as the problem. Then look at the table and pick a date that should work and put that in this new query as a 'hard coded' value. I'd play with operators here (=, >, <) just to ensure I accept the results as valid or not for the need, but not BETWEEN. If it returns no records when run, there might be something wrong with the logic in your field choices or approach to this query. If this gets us nowhere, then based on this comment
    the problem I am having is getting the information back into the form to view or reprint the report
    might indicate an issue with the form, such as using the same form to enter and retrieve data when it has been set to allow data entry only. However, based on your posts, I take it that the query doesn't return records when you run it means that you have run it manually and are not relying on the form to do it.

Thank you for the troubleshooting tips Micron. that helped me figure it out. the base query was fine it was just the where part but here is the final code that worked.

Thank you all for your help.

Code:
    FROM tbl_343sTested
    WHERE (((tbl_343sTested.TestedDate)=Date()) AND ((tbl_343sTested.LoadTested)=DMax("LoadTested","tbl_343sTested","[TestedDate]= #" & Date() & "#")));

welcome; glad you got it solved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.