CRobledo is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Lightbulb Ideas for multiple select or group select options on form

Hello, I have tried to think of some ideas but have had no luck.

I'm creating a database to log chemical applications on sections of orchards. In the entry form I had a drop-down box that had all the blocks by number but then I realized that there are times I need to select multiple at once I though about check boxes but then I would have 70+ boxes.

I need something that will let me pick multiple blocks and one option to select grouped blocks like pick ( all apples) and in the spreadsheet record blocks for example 2,4,6,65,86,12,15,7.

please help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	27310

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Start with a clear description of what you are doing in simple English --no jargon. 4-6 lines of simple talk like you would tell an 8 yr old who asked--what business is this database going to support?

You should review Allen Browne's badword list to see the reserved words in Access.
    Also, when naming tables and objects use only alphabetic and underscore "_".
    Avoid special characters like # etc which will cause you syntax problems (sooner or later).

Getting your tables and relationships designed to meet your requirements is critical to a well functioning database.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    rather, use a 'picked' table. User double-clicks a list, this runs an append query to add the item in the list to the picked table.
    no vb programming, just queries.
    join this table to the data table and only those items will show in the query.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pick state-lbl.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	27312

this is great thank you! Are there any examples in the forum on how to build this?

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    just drop items on the form, *(examples everywhere)_
    put a macro behind the events to run the query.

the queries look at the form items, like:
    select state from table where [state] = forms!myForm!lstBoxState

Sorry I just realized this wont work. Because of the way I have my database built. Its really racking my brain. You see my table linked to this form is made so that one selection is made per record if I select multiple then it will just pick the first selection to enter into the record. Unless there is a way to have it create multiple records depending on how many selections I have and have it duplicate the other data entered in the form for every new record it created.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4wgktwwy4...9ueai8I9a?dl=0

Here is a link to a Dropbox folder I have my database in. You can take a look at it if you would like.

When you first open it you will see the navigation form open and there is a section for Block ID where there is a drop down and you can select the block of the chemical application. When I first made it I designed for one record at a time but later realized the same application can applied to multiple Blocks. So instead of making multiple entries of the same data with different blocks I wanted to select multiple blocks and create the records.

hope this explanation is better

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Firstly you need a new table which contains the Primary Key of the table you are using plus the block ID. Duplicating data on records breaks normalization rules. On your input form the user will enter all other data, then have do something similar to what Arnie suggested: on the main form have a listbox of all the possible values. When the user double-clicks one of those then run a query to append it to this new table. The new table showing the values can either be a subform or another listbox - you need to give them the ability to delete from that table (if a listbox, a double-click can run a delete query onthat record, if a subform let them use the record selectors to delete a record).

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I would suggest you slow down and read Post #2 by orange 3 or 4 times, especially the line in blue.

After looking at your table structures, I would say your tables need a lot of work.

They have reserved words as field names, calculated fields (bad idea) and special characters in field names.
    2 of the tables are designed like spreadsheets.
    5 tables have the PK field name of "ID", 5 tables have a text type field for a PK field, 1 table does not have a PK field, table names (forms, queries and reports) have spaces in their names.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.