CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

where to find cursor file (.cur) for datasheet resize rows/columns

I have a use for the datasheet cursors that appears when a user wants to resize a datasheet column (a NSWE shape but without the arrowheads for NS) or row (a NSWE shape but without the arrowheads for WE), but cannot find them - have looked in Windows/Cursors, Program files, Program files (x86) and Office, in fact done an entire search of my C drive without success.

I'm currently using the WE and NS cursors but changing the look of some forms and a change of cursor would make a difference.

Any suggestions where they may be? Otherwise I suppose I can create my own.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    ControlPanel-->Mouse -->dbl click

Not sure if this is what you need, but in Win 10 you can change cursor here.

also see Missinglinq's post in this thread
    https://bytes.com/topic/access/answe...g-mouse-cursor

Thanks Orange, the control panel route is for permanent changes, and I already use the suggestion from Missinlinq to use the WE/NS pointers. What I was hoping to do was use the LoadCursorFromFile function which offers the same functionality as when you select a pointer you will find in ControlPanel>Mouse>Pointers>Browse to select a different pointer. I already use this function for the busy and unavailable pointers in my apps where appropriate, but just can't find the file for these particular pointers.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Maybe after you upgraded to W10 your permissions on the cursor folder are no longer in effect? Try running Explorer search as Administrator? From what I can find regarding 10, they should be in one of the folders you mention, but I'm still using W7 and always run as administrator. They are were you're expecting them to be.

I have full administrator rights and full access to the folders (I also see hidden folders and files) and LoadCursorFromFile works perfectly well for the busy and unavailable pointers.

I am logged in as myself (Local Account, Administrator). I don't have a specific administrator account - wouldn't have thought it would make a difference - would it?

So I don't think the pointers are there - I suspect they are hidden away in a dll or cab file somewhere.

I considered a dll so I Googled it for W10. Supposedly they are in the same place(s) as in W7, so I could only think of the admin thing, which doesn't have to be a separate account AFAIK. Maybe you could just install them where you think they should be? Or see what you can find beyond what I could find re their location in W10.

Maybe you could just install them where you think they should be?
    I would if I could find them! I would have expected to find them in windows/cursors or program files or program files (x86)/Microsoft office or perhaps one of the subfolders. Most apps using their own cursors seem to store them in their app name folder. But there are no .cur files of any kind for Office.

I can make my own pointers but these become yet another file to include in an install, I would rather use the standard ones - the column one is the same (or at least looks the same) as used in windows explorer, so it must be somewhere!

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Thanks - that basically demonstrates the use of LoadCursorFromFile which I'm already using

I really appreciate you guys taking the time helping me out

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I would if I could find them! I would have expected to find them in windows/cursors or program files or program files (x86)/Microsoft office or perhaps one of the subfolders.
    Of course, but I figured you'd either have a windows disk or they are probably available for download in 100 or so sites, but I don't know what you mean by there are no .cur files of any kind for Office.

If you're doing installs of your program, what guarantee do you have that they have the cursor files unless you package those as well? If you want, I can probably upload them to a Google drive.

Found them! they are in the ACCDDSF.DLL and also the Access.exe file.

They are also in the Excel.exe file and others

So far as I am aware there isn't a vba way of referencing a dll to assign the cursor - like say LoadCursorFromDLL. So guess I'll need to extract and save them as separate files.

Since they can only be extracted by referencing them by an index number (they are 2000 and 2001 respectively) I can't guarantee the index number won't change in a different version of Access. Not sure of the conventions so unlikely, but possible. So probably better this way

Many thanks to everyone for their help and interest. I can mark this as solved

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.