zepha45 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

New to Access Question

So I have been watching videos and doing all the training I can get my hands on and am now trying a small project for myself. What I thought would be a simple lookup and display, apparently something isn't clicking in my head though. I will lay out the scenario.

My company sells parts lets say. So I have a A304-6 is my part number. The problem is my competitors sell this same exact part just under different names. So when a customer calls sometimes they give me the other name instead of mine. So lets say I have 3 other possible names this could be called in under. B304-6, D304-6, F304-6. So lets call these 'Interchanges'.

So I have 2 tables right now. Parts and Interchanges.

Parts:
    PartID
    PartNumber

Interchanges:

IntID
    Interchange
    PartID

What I am wanting to do is I guess have a form up where an 'Interchange' can be typed into a combo box (only part I have working is the combo box to display interchanges), then have some kind of box to display the other names associated with it.

So if I typed in B304-6, my box/subform/list would display my part Number and the other 2 interchanges.

Any help would be appreciated, I think once I get over this hump I can make some real progress on this. And move forward with really learning Access.

Thanks in advance!

Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zepha45 View Post
    So I have been watching videos and doing all the training I can get my hands on and am now trying a small project for myself. What I thought would be a simple lookup and display, apparently something isn't clicking in my head though. I will lay out the scenario.

My company sells parts lets say. So I have a A304-6 is my part number. The problem is my competitors sell this same exact part just under different names. So when a customer calls sometimes they give me the other name instead of mine. So lets say I have 3 other possible names this could be called in under. B304-6, D304-6, F304-6. So lets call these 'Interchanges'.

So I have 2 tables right now. Parts and Interchanges.

Parts:
    PartID
    PartNumber

Interchanges:
    IntID
    Interchange
    PartID

What I am wanting to do is I guess have a form up where an 'Interchange' can be typed into a combo box (only part I have working is the combo box to display interchanges), then have some kind of box to display the other names associated with it.

So if I typed in B304-6, my box/subform/list would display my part Number and the other 2 interchanges.

Any help would be appreciated, I think once I get over this hump I can make some real progress on this. And move forward with really learning Access.

Thanks in advance!
    What I would do, create a query
    Code:
    SELECT Interchanges.Interchange
    FROM Interchanges
    WHERE (((Interchanges.PartID)=[Forms]![Parts]![PartID]))
    ORDER BY Interchanges.Interchange;
    then on your form, create a list box, with the row source set to the query (PartsQuery). After you've chosen the part number, requery the list box. interchanges.accdb I've attached a sample for you. Hope this helps.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Have you tried using a SubForm in Datasheet view of the Interchanges table and the LinkChild/MasterFields set to PartID?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Gina's List Box idea is a good one as well.

zepha45 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Thank you both I will play around with those suggestions. Gina thank you for the example I have it downloaded and am looking at it now. I am hoping this is going to help me get on the right track! If I get stumped I will be back.

Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.