Deployment

Hi everyone. I need some help please.
    I have a small database that only I use. It does not need to be online, just run locally.
    My employer will not allow anything to be installed on our work computer, but I'd like to be able to access this database from work.

I'll need to be able to add/alter records via a form, and run reports.

Is this possible?
    Can it be made into an executable that will run off an external drive?
    Could it be run from dropbox?

If the answer is no, is there another solution (database software) that could accomplish this?

Thanks so much

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You can run the database off a thumb drive.
    BUT if you can't install things on the PC (the whole basis of how a PC works) then how can you run Access?
    Access MUST be installed (or the runtime)

if access IS installed,then you are fine. Use the external drive db.

Deployment

Thanks ranman256. Yes, maybe I wasn't clear. I need a solution that does not require access to be installed on the work computer. I know its unlikely that there is such a solution, but I'm hoping that if not, someone can make a suggestion on what else I could use, to accomplish the same.

For more detail:
    The database uses a form to update 5 or 6 tables with info.
    The database pulls reports based on that data.
    The database has a couple buttons that open specific word files and fills in some blanks (via bookmarks). Mostly this automates some mindless work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    You can run the database off a thumb drive.
    BUT if you can't install things on the PC (the whole basis of how a PC works) then how can you run Access?
    Access MUST be installed (or the runtime)

if access IS installed,then you are fine. Use the external drive db.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Runtime MIGHT work on the external drive, ive never tried, BUT i bet there MUST be an install of some sort.
    This goes for EVERY program on earth. PC's run on installed programs.

Its not the end of the world. I can use my personal laptop to run the database, its just not attached to the company printers so I'll have to print my reports to pdf, email them to myself and then print from the work computer. I was just hoping to avoid. Thanks

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    I don't know anything about Access 2016, but I have seen something called "Apps". Would this not work for you?

I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    I don't know anything about Access 2016, but I have seen something called "Apps". Would this not work for you?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Runtime MIGHT work on the external drive, ive never tried, BUT i bet there MUST be an install of some sort.
    runtime is still an installed version of access - just not all the bells and whistles. It will still need to make entries into the windows registry and place programs/icons/dlls etc in the program files directory and elsewhere.

And if it is just for printing, why not print at home?

Yeah. I figured that runtime wouldn't work either. I have to print often during the day, so printing from home isn't an option. I guess in my naive mind I thought that once someone used access to build a database for a client, they could just package it all up into an exe file and deliver it to the client. Wishful thinking I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    runtime is still an installed version of access - just not all the bells and whistles. It will still need to make entries into the windows registry and place programs/icons/dlls etc in the program files directory and elsewhere.

And if it is just for printing, why not print at home?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    they could just package it all up into an exe file and deliver it to the client
    you can - but you still need access, runtime or full version to open it. Same if you send someone an excel file - if they don't have excel (or excel equivalent) they won't be able to open it.

good point

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    they could just package it all up into an exe file and deliver it to the client.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    you can - but you still need access, runtime or full version to open it. Same if you send someone an excel file - if they don't have excel (or excel equivalent) they won't be able to open it.
    Could you elaborate? AFAIK, an Access database cannot be made into an executable (e.g. myDatabase.exe). Same with Excel files.
    If you're thinking about an .mde or .accde, they're not executables, right? Just a compiled file; i.e. all code is compiled into machine language, which is why you cannot view written code.

This would have to be on Fatmonkeymedia's laptop where he/she would have to email the documents/reports for printing (assuming it was allowed to connect to the company intranet in order to have access to email). Or the documents would have to be saved as files on a usb stick which is plugged into the work computer, assuming they allow that.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Could you elaborate?
    I was referring to the (access) package and deployment wizard - it creates a .exe setup/installation file which when the user runs it, unpackages the front end/backend/related files (e.g. readme, help, icons, etc). One of the things it can do is update the registry (assuming user has the appropriate permissions) to make the folder the user selects for the application trusted - which means they don't get that pesky 'trust this file' message. Personally I use Inno - you have much more control on what it does and it can do much more than the access version

Within the wizard, or inno, you can also include the access runtime install, although that makes the .exe file size much bigger. I now don't include it, but provide a link to the MS location to download the appropriate runtime version if required. Everything downloads OK, just won't run without runtime or full version of access.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Ahh, OK. I have a licensed copy of DeployMaster from JG Software but haven't used it for a while. Was a good buy, with pretty much eternal free upgrades.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.